freshwatermonster 40 planted

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
it looks nice. only outlier is that you have a common pleco in there. he's ok for a little while but soon he'll grow too big and will probably need to be re-homed.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i dont thing bulldog is equivalent to rubber lip. rubber lip dont really clean the tank but bulldog and pitbull plecos do. plus rubberlips grow way bigger than 2" whereas pitbull/bulldog grow to that size.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
from what i hear, not as much as the owners want them to lol. i wonder what they do eat...maybe alage wafers. or maybe theyre dependent on wood. or carnivorous diets.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
According to planetcatfish.com, there is no such thing as a "rubberlip" pleco. There is, however, a rubbernose pleco, which is indeed the same thing as the bulldog pleco. They are omnivorous and will eat algae or live/frozen foods. The scientific name for the rubbernose/bulldog pleco is Chaetostoma aff. milesi.
Chaetostoma aff. milesi • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish
If you Google "rubberlip pleco," the first non-forum reference/profile you encounter is from AquaticCommunity.com. They list the rubberlip pleco as scientific name Chaestoma milesi, which is a slight variation of the scientific name on PlanetCatfish.
Rubber Lipped Pleco

Going by those two (trusted) references, the rubberlip, rubbernose and bulldog pleco are all the same thing.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ok then pitbull pleco is what i was talking about.
sometimes common names are so interchangeably used it gets very confusing. like the "Plume Worm" is not the same genus as the "Plumed Worm". its retarded like that >_<

but how are we even referring to this fish if it has never been exported for trade? this means what we buy as rubberlip plecos are not that species. we are running in circles here. Paige, help! lol

Last edited: