FRESH WATER BARRACUDA

MORPHEUS

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
wales
:D HI I WAS THINKING OF GETTING A FRESH WATER BARRACUDA DOES ANYBODY HAVE ONE OR HAS ANYBODY GOT ANY INFO ON THEM.*celebrate

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
Yes. I have 3 freshwater barracuda. Now there are many different types, but I am talking about the redtailed barracuda with the two black spots on there body. They are the most common in aquarium stores. They grow to about 10-12 inches long. They are also ambush predators so feeding time won't be a big show as with Oscars. I have had mine for almost a month and just yesterday saw them eat a fish for the first time. Most of the time the feeders just vanish. I really enjoy them. They like the company of there own kind.

If you have any other questions please ask I probably know the ansewer. I will try to get up their scientific Name and a few links later.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
hmmm...my wife bought one this week dispite my wishes aginst it(hehe, mean sounding I know, but we really dont have a place for it :) And they had on the tank that it was a hujeta. I have not been able to find a whole lot of information about these fish, but if I run accross any I will be sure and post it. Hers has a little red on the tail, it has one large black spot near the tail area, and all of its fins are rounded.

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
Yep you got it. Thats the barracuda I have. Its Sienctific Name is Acestrorhynchus falcatus If you put this name in a search engin you should get the right kind of info. Here: The first picture is what my guys look like

I bought mine for $20 each. They really like each other. Honestly I think that if you bought just one they would die. I think they really need there own kind.

I submitted a suggestion to add them to the profiles list a few days ago.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I dont think that that is the one that we have. I looked at the link morpheus gave, and ours has smaller eyes, and it has a much longer 'beak'. On the end of the beak the top curves down a little over the lower one.

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
Yeah, if he is the same kind I have I hope he will be okay by himself! 8" though thats big! Can't wait til mine get that size

Oh, and Orion if you pick up the issue of Aquarium fish(march I think) the one with the trigger fish on the outside, they have a big artical on a different kind of barracuda thats a live-bearer it sounds like the one you have. They are rare!!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Hey, I got a rare fish and didnt even know it! Not bad for only paying $6! hehe. I will see if I cant get the issue of Aquarium fish tonight at my LFS. Im pretty sure I have a decent pic of him(or her). I will look in a bit, Im at work right now.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Added one more to the tank and even tho the new one is about half the size of the other, they seem to get along great. The big one doesnt nip at the little one or anything. And really, he could eat the little one if he really wanted to!