FRESH WATER BARRACUDA

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
Wow, Orion. Thats a nice lookinh fish. I haven't even seen that type of freshwater Barracuda before! Nice stripes. What are you feeding him?? My 3 eat about 6-8 rosy red minnows a day!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I'm not 100% sure that it is what is commonly referd to as a freshwater baracuda or not, but he is cool as hell. I usually have to put in around 20 feeder guppies a week. Of course some just get picked on by the other fish in the tank and die, but he always swims around with a full belly!

Thx Amazon, I love the checkerboard pattern that he has. The little one has it too, just not quite as dark yet.

These are some of the most interesting fish I have ever kept. A little skitish at times tho. Bout lost him a couple of times tring to clean the tank, he almost jumped out. They seem to be very courious of anything and everything in the tank. I have some small cory's in the tank and the bigger one will slowly follow behind it, but soon loses intrest and just makes its way back to the top of the tank. Mine definatly enjoy the cover of my taller plants.

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
I have noticed the skitishness with mine too, espectially when I turned the light on and off. You know what I did?? I found some neat fake lilly pads(the ones w/o the flowers) at PetsMart that where sold for ponds. Not to expensive either. They came with a little weight and string but I just ditched those and let the pads float freely. Man are they at easy now! They like to hover in the shadows of them! Plus, if your water level is high enough you never see the lilly pads unless you open the hood.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
yeah, i can see how helpfull that be. I really cant do that in the tank they are in right now. They are in a planted tank and Im afraid that the lily pads would kill too much light going to the bottom. They really do like to hang out in the shadows of the tall plants. Shortly I am going to get either a 20l or a 29 for my overflow tropical fish and am going to put both of them in it. I wasnt planing on making it a heavly planted tank like the one they are in now, so I will deffinatly use the lilly pads! Thx for the idea. :)

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
No NO NO!! You cannot have Barracuda with pirahna!! The Barracuda are much to shy and fragile the pirahna will rip them apart, they are not very fun fish. You don't see them eat very often at all and they are very sinsitive to light. Barracuda are not for the novice(new) Aquarist. Stick to your pirahna

MORPHEUS

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
wales
hey guys just fed my baracuda some feeder fish wow what a beast he ate 3 in a minute. i know it may sound a bit cruel to some but he wont eat anything else i have tried.any suggestions on what else i can feed him are welcome

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
hehe, mine like goldfish.

As for prepared foods, I have not had any luck with mine. LFS sujested chunks of frozen brine shrimp and blood worms, but mine didnt care for them much. Mabey they would eat some beefheart, I have never tried it personaly.

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
Originally posted by Orion
hehe, mine like goldfish.

As for prepared foods, I have not had any luck with mine. LFS sujested chunks of frozen brine shrimp and blood worms, but mine didnt care for them much. Mabey they would eat some beefheart, I have never tried it personaly.

To the best of my knowledge, Freshwater Barracuda are one of the few fish that can not be pellet(or anything else) trained. They must have live, nothing else will do.

beaver, if you are interested do some research. You might not fine much but anything would help, plus what is on this thread. If you have any specfic questions one of us can try to help you.

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
Actually I try to keep their setting as natual as possible. Instead of feeding then just a few fish every day I throw a lot in (maybe a dozon) so that they make their own "school" then when I see the school getting smaller a add a few more. That way the fish can eat whenever they want to.

GARRDN

New Fish
May 14, 2003
Ohio
matrixvibe.net
I had the misfortune of putting my Cuda in with my Piranha for about 10 mins to clean my tank , when I came back ther was nothing left but the head, he was about 8 inches, i even read somewhere that they could survive in a P tank