floresent or incandescent

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
i am getting a 20 galllon tank next week, what does everyone suggest for lighting? i was reading the other posts it looks like most people have incandescent at most pet stores they suggest you purchase floresent
what should i get?!?!?!?!

Lilpoot

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I would suggest flourescent lights as well.  They don't get as hot,  and they tend to be brighter than incandesant bulbs.  Plus, just the slightest touch of water on an incandescant bulb, and it will shatter.  No need to have glass floating in your fish tank.

raydobbs

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Edina, MN
www.stf-beyond.com
i am getting a 20 galllon tank next week, what does everyone suggest for lighting? i was reading the other posts it looks like most people have incandescent at most pet stores they suggest you purchase floresent
what should i get?!?!?!?!
I'd have to agree with Lilpoot's professional opinion.  Florescent lighting creates more natural lighting conditions, run cooler - and consume less electricity.  Also, they are easier to change.  Not to mention the safety issue.

ADDENDUM:

Another option is if you have more money then you know what to do with, but want the very very very best lighting for your tank - you could use metal hallide lights.  Full spectrum light, but a hefty pricetag.  They are excellant to show off a show-tank though, flourecents sometimes just WON'T cut it with certain fish and plants to get that right color...

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Definitely go with flourescent lights they are much better than incandescent lighting. I had a tank with an incandescent light and it only lasted a month and half. So flourescent is much better.

Ryanp13