floating goldfish

tbear

Small Fish
Sep 21, 2011
A friend of mine has a goldfish that swallowed to much water and now it is floating and has hard time of swimming. What can she do to help this goldfish.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
swollowing too much water isn't an issue with fish, since they breathe it and swollow it regularly. Has your friend tested the water parameters? what are the readings for amonia, nitrite & nitrates? how long has the tank been running? how long has the fish been in it? what is the water change schedule? I cannot do a search on fish diseases from my phone all that easily, but try a search for floating goldfish... does it seem bloated at all? What are some of the other symptoms?

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'd suspect swim bladder disease. Usually triggered by poor water quality, it's often too late the save the fish by the time symptoms are advanced. Test the water, perform appropriate water changes immediately, and try feeding peas.

tbear

Small Fish
Sep 21, 2011
My friend has never checked the levels in her tank. She says she does not need to. She has fed the gold fish peas and he does seem to be doing better. Thanks.