Float Sensor...

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could purchase a small float sensor? I am only looking for the float valve (with its wires attached and everything)

Anything thats tiny and looks like this:

ChakaRaka

Small Fish
Dec 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Hi Newman,

Your picture does not appear so I am unsure exactly what you are going for application wise. Sump maybe? I also don't know how D-I-Y oriented you are especially with electrical, but depending on what you want to accomplish here, I think this can be sourced from automotive. If you can find a small (or universal) fuel gauge sender, then it could be wired to a relay to accomplish almost anything with the correct equipment. Small construction equipment also comes to mind as their components tend to be smaller on densely built machines. I would also think that there might be something available from the plumbing or food equipment industries (holding tank sensor, ice/water machine).

I also found this link while doing a Google for a generic float switch:

Aquarium Electrical Systems by Jon Garner - Reefkeeping.com

ChakaRaka.
;)

ChakaRaka

Small Fish
Dec 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Those are some nice sensors lol! interesting site.

But all I really need is that vertical one on ebay. vertical is just fine if I can only figure out how to correctly mount it inside my sump...I was thinking of using some bent plexiglass or something...but how would I attach the plexi to the wall inside the sump? =/

ChakaRaka

Small Fish
Dec 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Well seeing as there should not really be much force on the switch you could use a piece of L-Shaped material (preferably something Aqua-Safe) maybe Acrylic. Drill the part that hangs down out, so your switch is correctly oriented and clamp to the tank, then you can slide it up or down as needed, and could even be fastened more permanently once you get everything dialed in just right. When you are sure it is right, you could adhesive it in (where you can reuse the clamp to hold it while it clears) then trim excess material.

Yeah I was bored and felt like drawing something...1,000 words worth hopefully.

ChakaRaka.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
LOL!
Thanks for your drawing, I really appreciate it :)
DOH! why did I not think of siliconing the plexi L thing to the wall before!?

also aside from plexiglass, what other material can I bend that would be safe in the sump?

ChakaRaka

Small Fish
Dec 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Stainless steel should also work, but might not be compatible with the adhesive (as I presume the sump is acrylic). It might cost a bit but would last forever, although drilling it would be a tad more difficult. Actually, seeing as the bracket should not really touch the water, likely any metal would do. Copper is bad for inverts though and might still contaminate. I would try for a piece of acrylic if available because it should be bondable to the sump and should last forever too. It's easy to drill, shape and trim too. I would even imagine someone has a DIY article for bending acrylic, possibly...

ChakaRaka.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
bah all I need to do is heat it in my oven at 350F or something for a few min in order to bend it ;)

I'll go with plexi then, don't want any risk of metal in the water lol. and the sump is plastic/acrylic.

ChakaRaka

Small Fish
Dec 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Then again, why do all this adapting to fit a valve that is oriented the wrong way. Wouldn't it be easier just using a horizontal valve? I was going through a Big Al's catalogue and saw what I think is a mechanical (as opposed to electrical) version. Wouldn't something like this be easier:

Big Al's Float Valves

ChakaRaka.