Fishless Cycle?

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
you can bye cycle in bottles, but i think that is the biggest load of cr@p i've ever been scammed into. Otherwise you just run it in for a month or so before you add fish.

R

ronrca

What do you mean by 'established media'? I really like the fishless cycle. I had to add cycle bacteria into my tank on Saturday because I was not getting any NO2 reading. Yesterday I did get a slight increase above 0 but less than 0.25 NO2 reading. Cycle has its place but you first need high readings of NH before putting it in. Otherwise it doesnt have any nutrients.

sharkbait

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It can be done without adding established media but it will take longer.  To get through your cycle as quickly as possible, you really should introduce some sort of media that has all the necessary nitrifying bacteria already thriving.  This can be gravel, plants--live or plastic, filter media from an established aquarium or sqeezings from the filter.  
When I fishless cycle, I'll run the filter on an established aquarium for a month or so before I start the fishless cycle.  Usually takes 2 to 3 weeks.
If you don't have access to any media, ask your lfs for some.  They should be happy to provide you with something.  
BTW......just water doesn't work.  It has to be something with a surface that the bacteria can grow on.

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
sharkbait- duh!! Just water....thats funny. Who would even think of doing that? I'd like to know so i can laugh at them. (I'm just kidding :))

R

ronrca

Please keep the conversations to fish please! There is the lounge if there is a need to post other related topics.

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
 people where i do pronounce the s, but that is because they are all a bunch of hillbillies that wear cowboy boots every day, chew on hay and still call black people "colored". Kentucky in other words, LoL (but i just live here, i am not from here).