Fishdad's Reef Setup

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Well its not really important any more. I uncovered the tank and all livestock, although groggy, seems normal. I did loose a star astraea snail. Not sure why. So far no dino growth. I think their done since they usually manifest themselves quickly under full light.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Well the GD, f-ing dinos are coming back. Here are my options...

1) Smash my head against a brick wall, as this will be just as effective as any other treatment.
2) Find a Marine Biologist and hold him hostage until he discovers a cure.
3) Dose with H2O2. Some have reported success with this, but then some people also see big foot.
4) Add an algae scrubber to the system. Tanks with these rarely get dinos. As a bonus to this method... plastic mesh, hanging in the living room covered in oozing green slime and spotlighted with flood lights will really add to that inviting, swampy bog feng shui look that we have been longing to do.
5) Pour sand in my cheerios.
6) Then there is the nuclear option. Relocate livestock, possibly convert my kids 55g into a SW. Flush the tank with freshwater and essentially kill the tank. I have read that some BB will survive but dinos are killed instantly by FW. Recycle and restock as a dead rock tank. Honestly I will never use live rock again in a SW tank. I have had way too many hitchhiking demons. I would rather add the pods and CUC my self. Remember the manits shrimp? or the blood sucking parasitic little pod that attacked my maroon clown?

Did I mention I might put sand in my cheerios?

Anyway I am dosing with H2O2, 1mg/10g. Was it Obi Wan or the Dinoflagellates that said, "You can't win. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
some corals are sensitive to H2O2 in the water so be careful. i know xenia is - i dosed my tank for bryopsis without draining the water or doing a water change and my xenia suffered badly. most corals were ok though. spot treatment out of the tank is ideal when using H2O2 to treat algae.

I still think you are over reacting to the dinos. its just an algae phase, you'll have many more besides this. you did what was necessary to get it from growing over your corals. keep doing that and eventually it will go away. you're not even to the cyano stage lol.
And it isn't the live rock's fault. corals come on fragged live rock which can bring in just about anything you can think of. avoiding live rock means avoiding corals.
Just keep at maintaining your tank and you'll win.

Everything above is just an opinion :)

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I don't know, Newman, I didn't read any posts on other forums where the dinos just went away. The other thing is I may have gotten them off my corals for now but in two weeks they'll be back to full strength. Also I can QT corals and dip the frags in H2O2. So far I have only purchased one coral (anthelia) that has been attached to LR, others have been on plugs. I think its feasible.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I think he will. I think the "controlled" environment of a QT gives them a much better shot. In most cases for me at least when they have ich in the DT, they usually don't make it.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Thanks, I think so too. That's why sort of went out on a limb for him. You could just tell his health was a bit in question. He needs to be fattened up too, but he is eating so this shouldn't be too tough.