fish tanks and apartments?

jiffy

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2004
Visit site
I will be moving in Oct/Nov into an apartment building or an apartment in a house. As of right now I have a 10g and a 30g tank.

What is the way to go about making sure a fish tank is ok with the landlord? Is it even something I should even ask? Or should I just get a place and then move the tanks in, as long as the lease does't specifically say "No Fish Tanks"?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I would check it out first. I know I would be really upset if my landlord found out I had tanks and made me get rid of all my fish! :(
Maybe you could offer to get renters' insurance with coverage for damages in case of a tank accident.

Mar 14, 2006
is there a bath tub/shower there??? if there is I wouldn't say anything....if it was sover 55 gal(a standard size) I might ask b/c of weight issues....you have to pay for any damages anywayfish tank or keg party of a water gun fight!!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
First off...you should be carrying renters insurance if you rent (in CO its required). Assuming you are, then check with your insurance agency about their policies. Mine said that they will cover pretty much everything, assuming that the circumstances fit into something other than it being my fault. After you've checked that out, you MIGHT say something if the tank is larger than about a 29. If its a house I wouldn't worry as much as if its an apartment, just because apartments usually have stricter rules (ie extra charges for pets, extra charges for having a waterbed on the 2nd floor etc).

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
I would chance it. I mean fish are the least noisey(spl?) least smelly pets ever as long as the tank is not huge I would say nothing. But I'm like that if you feel like you should say it then do.

Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Small, caged pets usually don't count. Birds, fish, reptiles-- all of these are generally allowed without a deposit.

If you can put in a waterbed, you can have any size tank you want.

A 30 gallon tank weighs in at around 250 lbs. The floor had better be able to handle 250 lbs. or I wouldn't rent the place anyway!

Always carry renter's insurance, it's too cheap not to have. I think I paid like $20 USD per year for something like $15K of comprehensive coverage.

I wouldn't say anything. If the lease doesn't specifically exclude aquariums, you're golden.

Last edited:

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
If your lease does not prohibit it, then they cannot make you get rid of them. When I rented, none of my leases prohibited fish tanks. Again, and I know I probably soudn like I am beating a dead horse here, but even a HUGE tank is no heavier than a few grown men. I fyou're not afraid to take group photos ofg your football team, then don't be afraid of having a fishtank.

Nov 27, 2005
In the past, when I've rented, I would tell the landlords when they asked about pets. I never had a problem. I would be honest if he/she asks. Then you'll just have to decide if this apt is right for you. If this land lord will not let you have tanks, then he/she is probaly going to be a difficult land lord to have.

Mar 30, 2006
Westland, Michigan
Whereas that I am a property manager, you should ask. Smaller tanks up tp 20g really should not pose a problem. With larger tanks it's always best to make sure you are covered by renters insurance, find out how the building is constructed, where floor joist are, etc. I know I appreciate it when I am informed.
One of my residents just set up a beautiful 180g tank with my permission back in Sept. 05. And that got me back into swimmers after a 9 year hiatus. I now have 6 tanks two of which are in my office. The Resident and I are "fish friends" and share info with each other. I now have other Residents interested in fish, have set up tanks of their own and stop in my office for "Fish talk." It's great!*thumbsups

noncentric

Large Fish
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
kristar1982 said:
If this land lord will not let you have tanks, then he/she is probaly going to be a difficult land lord to have.
Just wanted to chime in. As a landlord who had over $60k in damages due to water damage and ensuing "toxic mold" - then I don't think there's anything "difficult" about a landlord that is concerned with water-holding objects in their properties. Back then, my insurance covered the claim - but they've raised my premiums 50% every year since then, and no other company will cover me when they see my insurance claim history (after 7 years, my history will be irrelevant). My current policy doesn't cover mold, so if that happened now - then I'd be toast!

Needless to say, I wouldn't allow my tenants to keep a fishtank in the house - UNLESS they show me proof of their own renter's insurance, and that renter's insurance covers any damage that a leaking/cracked/broken aquarium might cause.

If that makes me a "difficult" landlord, then so be it - but I'd rather be "difficult" than bankrupt. *PEACE!*

May 4, 2006
Southern Illinois
i agree with you noncentric. My mom is a landlord, and many tennants don't realize just how much any damage can cost. Sure 40 gallons of water doesn't look like a lot, but can cause extensive damage. Just ask. It wont hurt to ask. If they so no, then so be it. Keep looking for another apartment.

Mar 30, 2006
Westland, Michigan
Amen noncentric,

And I will add, just because it doesn't state in a Lease Agreement that fish tanks aren't allowed does not mean the Tenant is not responsible.
There is, in most Lease Agreements a section stating "due to negligence the Resident(s) or visitors are liable for damage done to the The Owners Property." If it's not stated in the Lease Agreements, the State-Landlord/Tenant Laws will take over if such actions have to be taken to court. THIS MEANS ANY ACTION.

Most people don't realize damage that is done from tubs and sinks, shower heads facing "out" of the tub perimeter, overflows, etc. let alone an unknowing leak in the tank.

Remember MFT friends "Leaks can happen to any tank at any time." Not only will it be costly to YOU as the Tenant, but you will lose some good "fish friends" in the process. ( unfortunate, but inevitable.) Most Tenants will not report due to fear, so they let the property get damaged even more. More damage, more cost to the "Owner". Simple as that.

The Tenant I spoke of earlier in this thread has renters insurance (visable, concrete proof in unit file) and has signed all documents required to insure her Residency at my property. (315 units) My Residents know I run a "tight ship."

What I posted earlier, "I did not" nor do I want anyone to think that renting someone elses property was to be that simple. It's not. Ask questions, inform your Landlord of any changes. If you don't, do not be surprised when you get letters, visits, or notices.

Hey "noncentric" maybe we can trade tenant "horror" stories sometime. Instead of going*crazysmil

noncentric

Large Fish
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
Nightswimmer said:
Hey "noncentric" maybe we can trade tenant "horror" stories sometime. Instead of going*crazysmil
Oh my gosh - I could go on and on and on...

In general though, I just wish that my tenants would realize that I'm not pocketing their rent checks every month - their rent checks are basically parsed out to pay mortgage/property tax/insurance/water/sewer/garbage/gardener/etc. Those that have understood that have been a lot easier to work with. *twirlysmi