Fish-in cycle or leave in horrible bowl? Urgent!

staj

New Fish
Jul 27, 2009
I have a fantail in a bowl that I had only intended for him to be in for a very short period of time...it turned out that I was unable to pick up my 55 gal for longer than I thought so he's been there (with daily water changes) for about 2 1/2 weeks! The stress of living in a tiny, probably kind of poison-y bowl (he's about 2-3 inches) is really starting to show. I've finally gotten the aquarium "going", so to speak, and I don't know if cycling it with the little guy in there is a bigger risk or if he may be in more pain or die in the bowl before the process is even complete. All I've got to kickstart the cycle is a couple of old sponges in one of my filters...but they're so old I can't even be sure anything's alive in there unless it was some kind of spore-forming bacteria. Can someone with more experience please help?

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
Personally, I would place the goldfish ,and only the gold fish, in the 55 gal and monitor the water along with feeding small amount of food every other day. Unless the filter material from your other filter was kept wet in aquarium water and had source of food, it probably won't help kick start the nitrification process in the 55 gal. but with small feedings every other day as described, and water changes anytime ammonia levels became toxic, the lone goldfish would in my view,be better off. You will need to monitor the water through testing to ensure that the fish doesn't suffer. ammonia levels are much easier diluted in larger tanks than in bowls. Get and use a dechlorinator such as PRIME and use it during water changes.

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
I would also put the fish in the 55g. Use Stability daily as instructed to build the bacteria and keep ammonia levels safe. Monitor daily. I always use this to cycle my tanks with the fish in, if necessary.Its more expensive and takes careful monitoring for a month or so until everything stabilizes, making water changes when needed, but it has always worked for me. Good luck.

staj

New Fish
Jul 27, 2009
ok, well i've already used the prime in the new water i put in...and i've got the time to really monitor in the next few weeks. got a testing kit this morning. i think i'm going get the little guy settled after work and see how it goes..

thanks!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree with putting the goldie in the tank and Becky had a good idea that you may want to pick up some Stability. (A product that helps with fish-in cycles. ) However, a lone 3 inch goldfish in a 55 gallon tank will probably take forever to cycle completely...you might consider bringing the bioload up a little bit depending on your plans for the tank.

staj

New Fish
Jul 27, 2009
I agree with putting the goldie in the tank and Becky had a good idea that you may want to pick up some Stability. (A product that helps with fish-in cycles. ) However, a lone 3 inch goldfish in a 55 gallon tank will probably take forever to cycle completely...you might consider bringing the bioload up a little bit depending on your plans for the tank.
Well, I had planned on eventually having a total of 3, maybe 4 goldfish in there. I guess I'd kind of like to do it before my lease is up, if possible. Any suggestions?