Fish getting caught against filter

WSammy

New Fish
Apr 18, 2016
Let's just say I did not do my research before getting guppies for my son. I had 4, now 3, and a snail.

I was given a Top Fin Aquascene 180 3.5 Gallon Aquarium. I came with everything I need. There is a 1/2" gap between the filter & the wall of the tank. They swim back there & tragically get stuck. I can't quite tell if they are getting stuck due to the small area or the suction from the filter itself. One has already died this way. I've been checking often so I can free them, but when at work today I had to just turn it off. What can I do to prevent them from getting stuck?

I have only one small fake plant in there. I am going to get them a cave-like thing so they will hopefully go there instead of behind the filter.

Attachments

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
As you're doing, more hiding options may help. If the filter is adjustable, turn it down. You can add a sponge over the intake - something like a filter media sponge that you cut a slit in and then slide the intake tube in there.

Did you cycle the tank? If not, be keeping an eye on the ammonia level and/or do daily water changes. Healthy fish rarely get sucked into appropriately sized filters, but they could just be hiding back there due to being in a new tank with minimal cover.

WSammy

New Fish
Apr 18, 2016
As you're doing, more hiding options may help. If the filter is adjustable, turn it down. You can add a sponge over the intake - something like a filter media sponge that you cut a slit in and then slide the intake tube in there.

Did you cycle the tank? If not, be keeping an eye on the ammonia level and/or do daily water changes. Healthy fish rarely get sucked into appropriately sized filters, but they could just be hiding back there due to being in a new tank with minimal cover.
I have no idea what "cycling the tank" is. I feel awful for even starting this tank now. Poor guppies didn't ask for an idiot fish-mom. I did test the water at the store & they said it was perfect. Even I flip the filter over, they can still get behind it. Since adding a lot of decor I have noticed they are not sneaking back there. Thank you!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Not upside down, but some filters are adjustable so that you can set it to more or less flow. In this case you'd want to set it to less flow if possible.

There are some stickies at the top of this forum about cycling a tank. In a nutshell, fish produce ammonia, which is toxic. In a mature tank, there are beneficial bacteria which use the ammonia and convert it into nitrite (also toxic) and more bacteria which then convert the nitrite into nitrate (not toxic). In a new tank, you need to let these bacteria populations establish - this is called cycling the tank. Otherwise, the ammonia / nitrite build up and are harmful to the fish. Over time, the bacteria population will grow to accommodate the fish in a tank - bacteria will live on the solid surfaces, especially filter media and substrate, but also on decorations. Until the bacteria is established, ammonia / nitrite can be removed by A) water changes to physically remove them, or B) adding a product such as Ammo-lock or Prime to detoxify them. You can "jumpstart" a cycle by adding a handful of gravel or some used filter media from an established tank. This will introduce the bacteria you need, though they still need a chance to multiply to handle your fish load. A few guppies is a pretty small bioload, so adding some gravel or media from an established tank will probably take care of everything right away. Unfortunately, the fish stores don't (usually) tell you about cycling - and until you add fish, of course the water will test fine because there is nothing to produce waste (ammonia).

Jul 16, 2016
It might be best to get a different filter if it is possible with your aquarium. I used to raise guppies and they have a bad tendency to get stuck in filters and any other tight spaces they may find. Often if they swim too close to filter intakes their tails will get stuck and they are not strong enough swimmers to get free. In the many years I have had guppies I have found that they do best with either an under gravel filter(nothing to get stuck in) or a power filter with a sponge intake cover(keeps them from getting caught in the intake). Also, guppies really need a minimum of 10 gallons to really be happy and like to be in groups of at least 10. They will live in close quarters, I have comfortably kept 30 in a 15 gallon and well over 100 in a 35 gallon but they need the larger tanks so they have room to move. They also need a LOT of places to hide or they will freak out and can die from the stress. They really like to hide in plants, especially live plants. If they are not actually getting stuck in the filter intake just in the gap you could get some 1/2in aquarium safe sponge and put it between the filter and aquarium wall, which would probably be the easiest and least expensive solution.