Fish for nano?

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
I have a 12g tank and eventually want to make it into a nano reef setup, my question is: what fish would i be able to keep it?

Here are the fish that i like and have researched and found would be good for my tank:

Yellow Goby
Catalina Goby
Common Clown
Maroon Clown
Bicolor Blenny
Purple Firefish

Other fish that i like but have seen mixed opinions about whether i could keep them are:

Royal Gramma
Pyjama Wrasse

So if anyone can give some information about if i can keep these fish in a 12g i would apreciate it as well as any other good choices.

Also would these fish be compatible; could you suggest some possible combinations for my tank?

Finally any suggestions on some good beginner low-medium light corals would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
to start with whats last ;) some good introductory corals are zooanthids and mushrooms...but remember, even they will need significant lighting. Sun Polyps, on the other hand, require no lighting, but do require feeding...so if you're lights aren't up to par that might be an option to consider.

yellow goby: there are a couple yellow gobies...the "yellow clown goby" (gobiodon okinawae) and the "yellow watchman goby" (cryptocentrus cinctus). I think either would be suitable, though the clown goby is smaller which might be better in a 12g

catalina goby: though suitable, perhaps not the best choice because they come from a cooler water environment (Catalina ;)) and are not truly tropical

common clown: I think a pair of percs would make a nice display in this size tank

maroon clown: imo the maroon grows too large to be kept in a 12g

bicolor blenny: another interesting choice, pretty active little guys though i have heard rumor that they get kind of mean...esp. with other bottom dwellers

purple firefish: i think this is the best choice! hardy, colorful, and active. i think if you could get a m/f pair that would be superb! another option might be the fire dartfish (nemateleotris magnifica)

royal gramma: i dont think this fish would be a problem in your tank...another fun choice.

pyjama wrasse: not sure what this fish is. i am going to assume you mean pyjama cardinalfish and go form there. I think this fish might feel a bit cramped in a 12g...but it might be ok depending on how much LR you have and whatnot

as far as combinations, i think that any one of these fish would be great for your tank, or pairs where i suggested. perhaps, you could keep the clown goby with one of the other top/mid level swimmers, but its a really small area for any SW fish...hope that helps some

K

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
thanks camaro, thats some really helpful advice!

The yellow goby that i was talking about is a yellow clown goby and the pyjama wrasse is Pseudocheilinus hexataenia also known as six-line wrasse.

What wpg would i need to keep the corals you mentioned? also you said that Sun Polyps need no lighting but would they be alright with it?

so...i think i will go with:

1st Choice: m/f pair of purple firefish or fire dartfish (how do you sex them)?

2nd Choice: a yellow clown goby w/ a Royal gramma or firefish (would this be ok then? which would be better?)

3rd Choice: Pair of percs

4th Choice: Bicolor blenny (could i keep any other fish with this?)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
for the mushrooms, zoos, or (new thought) some of the leather corals you are going to need probably around 4-5wpg I would guess over that 12, although wpg really isnt a great way to measure. I would look for a way to get a 65w 50/50 PC blub over that tank, though there are other options.

the sun polyp is a LPS coral from the genus Tubastrea. It has no photosynthetiz zooanthelae so it requires absolutely no light. the drawback to this is that each polyp must be fed by hand...which can be a bit of a pain. IMO you are better off getting some of the photosynthetic corals mentioned above than trying to do a sun polyp as your first coral...but it is an option. The sun polyp is fine with light, though it generally will do better if placed in a shaded area of the tank...also, it is unlikely to extend its polyps during the lights on cycle if it is not shaded.

If it was my tank, I would go with the yellow clown goby and a fire dartfish, but that is just me. They both stay pretty small and should keep out of each other's way pretty well.

Another good option, though, is the clownfish and I think maybe you could squeeze the clown goby in there with them after you've had the tank up for a while and are more comfortable with SW.

I personally wouldn't try to keep anything else with the bicolor if you decide to go that route.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Get some of the easier ricordea, zoos, star polyps. A single big PC like a single or pair of 28 will be adequate, and shouldn't cost too much.
Yellow goby. Maybe. You need to find one you can actually feed, most are ok, but you see some that are 'random yellow' that are obligate pod or zooplankton feeders. Research before you buy these.
Catalina goby - bad choice, prefers lower temps, higher temps shorten life span to a few months.
Common clowns - good call
Maroons, tomatoes - bad call, big for a 10
BiColor blenny- good, mine is pretty bad tempered and nearly killed a big mushroom by hosting in it
6 line wrasse - good choice, as is a banana. Not sure about smaller Cirrhosis like a sea-fighter wrasse.
Dottyback - small, colourful, but pretty aggressive.
10 lbs live rock, powerheads and heater and you're off!

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
yeh they have. everyones been really helpful especially since i'm new to s/w which is more than i can say for other forums which are soley based on this subject.

so thanks guys and maybe i can think of a few more questions for you s.reef ;)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
lol...we try...and besides, ive got nothing to do all day...no job, classes are off for another 2 weeks, life is grand...im enjoying this little month break...i cant remember the last time i didnt have school or work...usually both. Honestly, though, I'm starting to get a little bored. I've resorted to reading history books...lol

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
Hello, i havent been on in a long while.

Its been about 3 months since i set up my tank. I have added a few corals so far.

My more recent additions are a cinnamon clown and a skunk cleaner shrimp.

The tanks doing good :)

Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2004
Monterey Park CA
Visit site
If you need more help try nanotank.com. Incysor will help you A LOT!!! For liverock you can order 15 lbs from liverocks.com they have very good liverock and they are packed in water so there is little to no die off. Keys has coraline and gulf is full of life. Check it out. Oh and firefish usually pair 2gether in lfs tanks (learned from nanotank.com). I'm gonna set one up when I get the money and permission from parents. It's gonna have a AC 500 fuge(for live food, algae, rock, live sand, etc. Fish are gonna inclue 2 purple firefish and a 6-line wrasse whrn the tank is mature enough to handle it. HTH *SUPERSMIL*SUPERSMIL*SUPERSMIL