Fish and Butterfly Photo's

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Here's some photo's I've taken over the past few weeks that I've not got around to posting up, and what better place to put them up than the new forum :)

This is a butterfly that decided to steal some food from the hummingbird feeder last week.

I thought this was a really neat photo because despite all the color on the top of the wings, the outside looks just like a dead leaf. Nature's camouflage at some of it's finest.

A few good ones of the things head.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Sure Butterfly's are fish related! Butterfly's are insects, and fish eat insects, so therefore are related. Who's the noob now? :p

The color and lighting came out very well on the butterfly, but I would have liked to have used a lower F-Stop. lol, I was hanging off our front porch railing to get the photo's, so I didn't pay that close attention to it as I should have.

Bob, the fish after the Gold Saum is a Laetacara dorsigera female. And she's the toughest fish I've ever owned. She puts my old oscar to shame. :)

Now now Pure, you should know better than that! I don't have many good photo's of my Blue acara's, and I don't have any posted here (at least not yet) .

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
err yeah my mistake. Your GT looks just like the acaras I bought. I think I may be in deep dooky if they are GTs.

I need to get some pics of them today so I can compare. The 2 look so much alike when small that it's going to take photo to photo comparison to tell.

Still those are some nice shots man.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
lol, I'm sure this won't help your mind any, but I got that guy in a tank of Blue Acara's being sold as a Blue Acara. Once you learn what to look for, it does become a bit easier. I'll put up a decent photo of one of my acara's a little later on for you to look at, it's a good head shot. I've also got some older ones on my site of the acara's that have some profile shots.

Aug 4, 2008
Wow, Nice Pics!! (Is this a recently new forum?? ) I see they created a forum for you. :D

BTW, thanks for setting the bar SO high, all my pics look like garbage!

I am intersted if/what you did for these particular pics that made them come out so well. (additional info above the great tips from your great fish taking pictures thread..) I have a tri-pod and a remote.. I'mma see if I can even get close to your quality...

I love pictures. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming!!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Aww shoot Pure, I forgot about the acara's. Here's some, better late then never.

These are two different fish. The first one I think is a male, and the second one pretty sure. But it is pretty darn hard to accurately sex them at this age so who knows lol.

I didn't do anything special for the butterfly. I used a 100mm Macro lens, with the aperture set at F10, and shutter speed at 1/125. This helped block more light that I didn't want in the photo from getting in it. I can't explain how this works well, the best way I learned is to just take photo's and see what looks good to you for the subject (and everytime I pick up my camera I learn something new).

Now that I think of it, the butterfly might have been buzzed a little. :D No, I was really surprised that it let me get that close. Most of the time when I have an opportunity like that, something happens and the photo doesn't turn out good.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Ya..thanks man. I have determined I have 1 GT and 2 Acaras. :(

After this thread I took a really good look at mine and noticed one larger fish dominating the tank, and the 2 smaller ones always hiding. I can't get a good pic of them to save my life but the one looks just like your GT and the others look just like that ^ with less color.

Bah oh well. I'll just sell the GT once he gets larger.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Well that sucks. From what I've read from other people's accounts though, it's not uncommon for this to happen.

They are beautiful fish man. Why sell it when you can just put it in a bigger tank? Actually so far, the Gold Saum isn't any more aggressive than the dominate Blue Acara, at least for now.

BTW- If you want extra conformation, send a pic to C-Man or Sinisterkisses. They both should be able to ID a GT or anything similar from a mile away.