First tank. 10gal.

Nov 4, 2010
Ilwaco, WA
This is my first tank. Constructive criticism welcomed.

10 neon tetra
1 crown tail beta
2 mystery snail
2 black kuhlii loaches

1 (young) bunch of wisteria
1 bog wood
7 river rocks from local river
3 fake plants

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
get a bunch of dried leaves in there and maybe replace some of the plastic plants with...some floating plant like amazon frogbit or water lettuce or even duck weed. hornwort wouldnt hurt either. you have decent lighting right? how many watts per gallon and what type of light? (T8 or T12?)

I love the rock set up! I also agree with Newman on replacing some of the plastic plants :]

Whorled pennywort would be nice, pretty sure you can plant it or just let it float about on the surface (that's what I do) it's a really great one. Almost like miniature lily pads floating around. Again, like Newman said duck weed or hornwort would be nice.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
are they very fat long bulbs? or kinda medium sized long bulbs? if theyre medium sized theyre T8 which is better for live plant cuz theyre more efficient. are you leaing to ward live plant matter? or anything natural or recreating your local river habitat or a river habitat?
for the leaves if you intend to use some, regular dried oak leaves are good this time of year, just boil them first then add them to your tank.

Nov 4, 2010
Ilwaco, WA
they are medium girth and about 4 inches long.

I am leaning towards live plant matter, I dont necessarily have an idea as to what I want it to look like yet. But I was thinking of planting some short grass like plants in the cracks of the driftwood in the tank. Thanks for all your guys help.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
short grass like plants that can grow on DW? i dont know of any but you can try with dwarf hairgrass.

So do you have the long bulb type lighting or a screw in bulb?
maybe you can upgrade w/e version of light bulb you have to a daylight version?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Walmart sells a two-pack of GE CFL light bulbs for under $5 that are PERFECT for the type of hood you have. They come in 10W, 13W, 15W and I think 20W versions. Two 10W bulbs for your tank are more than enough (I have the same fixtures on two of my tanks). Make sure you get the ones that say "DAYLIGHT" on the package or they won't be any good for your plants and will just make everything look yellow. They are located in the regular lighting section, NOT the aquarium section (the ones they sell in the aquarium section are overpriced and don't give nearly as broad a spectrum of light...you can buy the two-pack of CFL bulbs for the price you can buy ONE of the fluorescent bulbs in the aquarium section :eek: ).