Fin/Tail Rot medication confusion :/

HMarcks

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2007
Palm Springs
I have an angel fish whom I am sure has some kind of fin rot. I was trying to get some medication for him but am completely confused by the kinds what they are for and how the symptoms are described for fungal or bacterial. I am sure it is not a fin nipping problem as I can see the degradation up into the tail not just at the damaged ends. Water params Ammonia 0,Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20-40, Temp 80F, 125Gal community IMG_0799.jpg . I have tried API PimaFix and am currently trying Melafix but neither one seemed to hinder or fix anything. Here are some pics to help diagnose it and hopefully point me in the right direction for the right medication.
2 days After Primafix treatment over, top fin came off completely.jpg 3rd day of Melafix, 2 days after previous picture, more rotting in tail.jpg

He is sluggish and shy but eating and no other fish seem to be having any problems.

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Is there anything in there that could nip at the fin? Pima and Mala will normally do it but it might take a week or two to start to notice a difference. Keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite as the meds will make your tank cycle and spike the ammonia level so keep up with water changes as needed.

HMarcks

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2007
Palm Springs
Every now and then I see a Rummy Nose or a Cardinal Tetra nip or at least before this started happening. Just noticed this morning that a bunch of Cardinals seem to be nipping at his damaged ends :( but they aren't nipping at any of the other Angels fins. Other then that I don't have any fin nippers. Why would the Cardinals be attracted to the rotting ends? I guess I'll have to quarantine him, I've just never had luck with that.

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
It doesn't take fish long to find weakness in another fish, QT may be the best thing for all fish concerned, looks to me like the fungus is working its way to the body of the fish, if he where my fish it would be in QT and treated with fungus eliminator.