Filtration

Aug 28, 2004
Central Oregon
Visit site
I've had a 150g aggressive fresh water tank for years, and am swapping too salt. Was wondering how too filter it? My fresh water was filtered with an U.G.powerhead,HOB,& magnum 350 canister. I've been told this will not be sufficient for a live rock/fish tank. I would appreciate any info or advice. I've been looking at an AquaClear Pro 200 wet/dry.
Thanks so much,
Fish Lips

Kyle

Large Fish
Aug 5, 2004
My House
I think you have to put more circulation in there. I would put a couple more power heads or something. I think that makes the live rock a better filtrator.

An wet/dry like you said would be a good thing to invest into and possibly a sump.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
This should really be in the saltwater discussion section, but oh well. An undergravel, HOB, and magnum, combined with live rock should be adequate...however a wet/dry is a much more efficient way of filtering water especially on a big tank. One thing you did not mention is a protein skimmer. Really look into one...this is one of the most important peices of equipment you need. For a 150 look into models rated to 200 gallons or more. Also what kind of fish are you looking into?

Kyle

Large Fish
Aug 5, 2004
My House
Oh forgot to put, a protein skimmer is a must. Sorry about that ???Can you have sand with and undergravel filter???? Won't it all just get sucked up.

Aug 28, 2004
Central Oregon
Visit site
Hey guys,
Thanks for your replies. Reading my original post, it sounds like I still have my 150g fw. I lost it in a fire.(sorry little fishies) I now have a 30g sw, but have been itch'n too get another 150g. Well I found it, 150g reef, 70g sump, protien skimmer, doser, MH/FLOR lighting, moonlight, 100lbs LR, corals, inverts, too much too list. (APPROX. $5000.oo) for $2000.oo. So hopefully will pick up next weekend if all works out.
Thanks again,
Lips