filters question.

G

Gourami lover

What is the best style of filter for a fresh 20g? Power filters or undergravel filters??? and if undergravel where can i get one with the dementions of 30"L 11"W? I mabey putting in live plants too will that make a difference???

Oct 22, 2002
i think ugf are "old school" ..an aqua-clear 300 would be more than enuff for that size tank and cheap and reliable too..and you can do a variety of media as well..also you can adjust the output too

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Old school...darn I didn't think I was in that one yet.

Besides all my fancy filtration in my other tanks, well not really fancy, I was given a 30 gallon, with a UGF, 2 powerheads,a homemade trashcan sump(which I modified).

The tank was seeded and cycled in 5 days. The UGf is very efficient, the sump has a large thing of cotten, before it pours onto the bio-balls. Needless to say, this UGF works with out a hitch.

So old school as it may be, it works well.

But if you want plants, it isn't my first choice.

Maybe a very cheap cannister for plants like a Hot Magnum, or an aquaclear for it if you dont want to spend a little more for the canister. ;)

The "OLD SCHOOL" idea of ugf is a very efficient system, a lot of stores in the UK still use, it and they are caring for thousands of fish, but as Barb says, if you want live plants it is not the best system, if you wish to grow plants with ugf, then pot your plants up in margarine tubs with slits cut in them, and hide them behind your other tank decorations. 8)

Oct 22, 2002
yes "old school".. people still keep bettas in jars their whole life..but do you think that is good thing?? oh yes it is efficent..but even a modest/cheap "fancy new" tank would be better
..never said UGF was a bad thing but lets just embrace the new millenium..ok folks... ::)

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
[quote author=mrfootball70 link=board=equipment&num=987998716&start=0#5 date=04/25/01 at 20:17:56]
yes "old school".. people still keep bettas in jars their whole life..but do you think that is good thing?? oh yes it is efficent..but even a modest/cheap "fancy new" tank would be better
[/quote]

That is not at all the same thing. A betta jar is small and unfiltered, of course anything would be better.

A UGF will out compete a lot of newer filter for biological bacteria.A new concept, which is the ebracing you would like, is reverse flow UGF. ;)

Thank you..drive through. :-X

Oct 22, 2002
if there is not plants and the fish don't dig go for the ugf if the fish are diggers go with the power filter. And about the thing with the bettas jars what r u supposed to do when you have a spawn of 100 get 100 ten gallon aquariums it would be nice but my pickling jars will do just fine. ;)

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
the boy has sense :) bettas are so nice to keep, but to have a few you NEED jars. I have one in my community, some females in my guppy tank, and a few in jars. To have them all in tanks, well..I have mostly cichlids now...

I also have a UGF in my guppy tank, and also a large sponge filter, I potted some val and have a few floating plants. The water is crystal clear. ;D

Oct 22, 2002
ok you win..you guys can have your UGF, RFUGF, XYZ, & PDQ..yadda yadda yadda..i'll still use by cheap
hang on canister and aqua-clears...i guess i must be old school..go figure..what is this site..
www.myugf.com or www.iluvrfugf.com..and ya know what..maybe ill try a betta in bowl..maybe even a toilet bowl..gotta be some kinds benefical bacteria in there..and the tidy bowl guy will keep 'em company...  ;D

Oct 22, 2002
now now don't be hasty the canisters in my opinion r better except when a fish wraps itself around a intake. And the toilet bowl is not a good place for a betta unless he's dead but i still bdig mine a grave in the back yard. I also don't think the bacteria in the is benificial >:(

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You dig a grave for your fish? Um, thats very...sad, but cute depending on you age....I just chuck them in the garden, the birds eat them in no time.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Mine go down the toilet too? ;D

I like the canister filters and power filters but the ugf's are good too. I think I would go with one that "hangs" on the back if your doing a planted tank. ;D