Filters and heaters?

madpad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ok guys Ive decieded on a 60 gallon(freshwater) what are the opinions on filters and heaters. I was thinking of a penguin Bio -wheel 330 ? Is this a good choice? and how many watts for a heater?

R

ronrca

Good for you! 60G is a nice size! Because there are so many different filters, it comes to be a personal preferance. You can go canister, power filter, bio-wheels, and many more. It comes down to how much you can afford and the requirements of your tank. I personnaly like canister filters (Filstar XP-3) because of the various filter media. Heaters is pretty much the same story. There are so many heaters around that basicly do the same thing, heat the water. How many watts? General rule is 5 watts per gallon but something to remember is, the more wattage, the faster your water will heat up (that maybe good or bad). What it really comes down to is research. Look around, ask people, read up on the products. There's lots of info on the net.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I use 5 watts/ gallon rule as well. I have a rena excel 300 watt in my tank, a bit higher in price but my water is always where I want it. I have other brands as well I would not go with a hang over the top of tank heater. They usually dont have a setting to turn it to for temp, you have to mess with them to get them right, I do have about 10 of these however, cause they are so cheap. ;)

If you want a good biowheel, and have some extra money, for 99 dollars you can get a Magnum 350 pro canister with a dual bio-wheel. Marineland makes this and the emporor. Your choice of a filter is not too bad either. If you decide in the future you want a lot of plants then you filter choice wont be a good one. The magnum 350 you just dont use the bio-wheel then.

They also have a Hot-magnum with Biowheel(hang on the back)for 65 dollars. It wont hold as much media as the 350, and 350 wont hold as much as a lot of other canisters but it always worked great for me.

sharkbait

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have never used a Filstar, although from all I hear they are excellent filters, along the line of Eheim only less expensive.  Ronrca, I take it you've got no complaints about yours.  I've been thinking about trying one out on the next tank I set up. I agree with using a Magnum 350 Pro system, an excellent easy to use filter.  I have one on both of my tanks that I use purely for biological filtration.  I fill the carbon container with filter floss and prefilter the intake with a Filter Max III prefilter.  AS for the heater, I have learned that this is one area of the fish tank that you don't want to skimp on.  There's nothing like coming home to find all your fish have been boiled because the thermostat stuck open.  Buy the best one that you can afford.  I use Rena Excel heaters.  JMHO

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I recommend a eiheim canister filter. They are expensive though. But do really great on your tank. I agree with everyone else that a heater just heats the water. Go with 5 watts per gallon. Good luck on your first tank. It'll be a great experience.

Ryan ;D

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
which eheim are each of you talking about?

there a ton of them.

there are
classic eheim. these llok like a pain to me, looks like you need to layer everything. smallest one is Eheim plus, 116gph recomm for up to 66 gallons, $75
 This doesn't sound too good to me and that price is high.

Eheim ECCOs. Ecco 2233 for tanks up to 60 gal. $84 The pull out looks kinda lame. Way high in price.

They have larger canisters like 2250 for $199 which I am sure you guys are not recommending.

Wetdry like 2227 for $169.

Pro2 2026 up to 100 gallons, 250 gph for $159. This and it's bigger brother look like the better one to get. I only know from what others say however.

Eheim Liberty powere filters Best one is for up to 50 gallons at a very low $21.

SO which are you refering to and why is it the best??
Why would I want to get a $169 filter when I could get one for $85 or $90?
Are the cool disconnect valves really worth another 75 or 80 dollars? or is it the large space it has for all that funky named media you can add?

Just trying to get more details out of ya, not being a jerk!!
 ;)

R

ronrca

I have never had an Eheim but I have heard it is the best. If you can afford it, go for it. If not, I would recommend the Filstar. I have no complains. I did have a cracked impellar but I managed to get a new one under warranty. Aquarium Pharms. was great. There is more info under equipment reviews and equipment forum.

sharkbait

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have the Eheim 2229 runing on my 150 and the 2026 ProII running on my 55.  I love them!  The quick connects/disconnects are a breeze and spillproof.  The Magnum 350's that I run on both tanks are a great filter also and a lot less expensive.  The Magnums are very user friendly and do an excellent job.  The only qualm I have about the Magnum canisters is the gush of water I get when I disconnect them and the lack of filtration options.  You can only do one of the three but with Eheim you can do the prefilter, mechanical, chemical and biological filtering all in one unit.  True, Filstar and Fluval offer the same choices as Eheim for less money, but the Fluvals I ever used were constantly plagued with problems, maybe the newer line is better.  And I have never used the Filstar, but have heard nothing but good about them.  Why did I choose Eheim........because of the name and their reputation for a good, quality, long lasting filter.  Why did I choose The Magnum 350......because I was looking for something relatively maintenance free that I could go purely biological with.

R

ronrca

I have heard the new Fluval still is not quite good enough. My lfs says there is still too much bypass unlike the Eheim or Filstar. The Filstar is also easy to disconnect/connect. There is lots of filtration media available. I actually dont use the media for the Filstar (expensive) but rather use alternate media like bulk media.