Filter

Sep 29, 2011
I just picked up a 100 gal and im wondering what filtration system would work best being a DIY. Ive seen many made but all for smaller tanks, i don't want to go out and buy one yet as im still trying to build the stand. Any links or help would be appreciated.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
You can try this filter (Algae Turf Scrubber), I have three running on my salt tanks and it works great to keep the nitrates at about zero. There is a link in the first post for direction on the build. My thread is for how they work on freshwater. Here is the thread but be sure to read the link in the first post as well. http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...ion/64090-freshwater-algae-turf-scrubber.html . You will still need a mechanical filter. You could do a 10-20 gallon sump with the blue media you cut to fit.

Sep 29, 2011
Thanks for the info, i don't have an overflow box and i am kinda worried about the problems with loosing power and such causing a big mess in the floor. I did go to the LFS today and i found a filstar xp3 for $113 they also had the xp4 but had none on the shelf for $120. The xp3 had 175 U.S. gal : 350 U.S. gal/hr the xp4 had 265 U.S. gal : 450 U.S. gal/hr would either of those be a choice to look at? After thinking about it i figured it would cut down on problems if i bought a canister filter. Or spend the extra for a fx5 but would rather not do that just yet

Sep 29, 2011
I re looked the build and one picture shows a pump in the tank feeding the 5 gal bucket with the water and then the water going back into the tank? So how does the water go back into the tank if its below the tank? Im kinda confused of how it works?