Filter Opinions Needed.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Guess I should have put this in the Equipment forum. Sorry, didn't notice it was there. My fault for not noticing what was right under my nose. Promise I will look closer before posting the next time.

Jan

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Well, with the tax refund coming soon (yippee)I am in the market for a new canister filter for my 33 gal planted tank.  I don't know exactly what I need though. I went over to the eheim web site and looked at thier ECCO line of filters. I really like the simplicity of them. Then I saw that they have an internal filter for the aquarium that I guess attaches inside the tank with suction cups. It is rated for a 30-60 gallon tank.  Does anyone have any opinion on either of these? I am leaning towards the ECCO model, but I could go with one of the regular canster filters as well. I just haven't reseached this much yet so I am looking for someone to steer me in the right direction. My tank will be heavily planted, with a medium bioload. The plants are still growing in.

Thanks for any help.

Jan

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
IMHO, i would suggest the professional series of cannister filters from eheim. I think there is a newer version called professional2? There's always the great debate between eheim and fluval cannister filters. I've never owned a fluval but the eheim i own is terrific. it's quiet and does a great job. also, unlike powerfilter etc, you don't have to clean the filter every two weeks or so.

also, check out the 'got deals' section of the messageboard. luvpug was nice enough to post some great deals on filters.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Yes, I had been looking at the new professional series as well. They are quite sharp looking! Looks pretty easy to use as well.  But since my tanks will be heavily planted, I wonder if it will be worth the additional cost, since in theory, the plants will do most of the biological filtration anyway, and I basically need the mechanical filtration to keep the floaties down?

Jan

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
not a problem. i'm not the expert on the biological/mechanical filtration (maybe someone will be nice enough to explain) but the eheim filter works fine for my planted tank. i wish i had a picture to show you! maybe someone can offer another suggestion?

and don't worry about posting in the wrong board. i'll try to move it over if i can. hmm..