Filter...good?

boba

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
members.cox.net
Penguins are not the best for planted tanks - IF you inject co2 because there is too much water agitation which dispels the co2. If you don't inject co2, then they are fine. The only disadvantage is the cost of the disposable cartridges. Consider aquaclears instead. YOu use foam blocks which you can simply rinse and reuse; if rinsed in dechlorinated water, you retain some of the beneficial bacteria.

Bob

Jul 25, 2003
San Diego, Ca
Visit site
Well, the biowheel somewhat does more harm to a planted tank. Since plants use ammonia(it is a much easier form of nitrogen compared to nitrate), then the plants will have to compete with the benficial bacteria.

Someday, I hope to turn my filters off(planted tank that is) or use it at a minumum.

Aug 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I just set up a CO2 unit using my Penguin Mini as the difuser. Not sure if its doing anything yet... its only been a few hours.

Will know soon I guess.

As far as the cost of the cartridges... I was thinking about cutting the carbon out of mine... washing and reusing it. Or else just stuffing the inside with a bunch of batting. Much cheaper.

PLANTS WIL SURVIVE with a biowheel Though it is not the optimal set up

Carbon is overrated besides if you have some toxins in your water, tannins, or are medicated inho a waste of moneygenerally. (Yeah i know i am cutting my own foot on this one but why waste your money) Dang their go my sales on carbon!!!

If you do not have co2 i DO suggest using seachems excel (DAILY) a liquid carbon substitute. Also seachems flourish works as an awesome fert and lasts forever just don't over do it FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS