Filter for 36 gallon tank!

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I need a new filter for my 36 gallon tank because I'm going crazy with my current one. Both of my tanks are in my bedroom and both have Aqueon QuietFlow filters. The filter on my 16 gallon tank is lovely (nice and quiet). The filter on my 36 gallon is another story. The filter is making the most annoying ratting sound. Any suggestions on how to fix the rattle? I broke it earlier today by mistake when I was cleaning the tank (rearranging driftwood). When I plugged it back in it didn't work at all and after some messing around it starting making the loudest ratting noise I ever heard. Anyways, after some more fiddling I got it to a manageable noise level.

I would really like to get a new filter that is almost silent and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Any suggestions? I also like the automatic startup because my power goes out a lot.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I think with the major hob brands they are pretty much equal. Aquaclear seems to make a more durable filter with higher flow rate but is more $$$. Plus replacing their impellers is a royal pain. Marineland are made with cheaper plastic but cost less and have easily replacible parts.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
The Aqueon also is very easy to replace the impellers. I am running four of their filters now for three years. They responded quickly when I had the problem and even sent extra impellers so I have been very satisfied. I am one of the people that use their filter cartridges because of the way they have explained how much of the beneficial bacterial is on the framework and cartridge holder and I simply change the media when it looks too "gunky" and I have never had a problem with an ammonia spike, etc.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i love my biowheels. i am an overfilter nut. all of my tanks have the 350 series filter on them. and i suggest that for your 36 gallon as well. they are quiet and reliable. mine get filled with sand, i clean them out, and they just keep on going. i do replace the impellars about every 2 years though.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
achase, your filter problem might be nothing more than debris stuck in the impeller cavity.

It seems like all HOBs are hit/miss these days, even the highly touted aquaclears.

I haven't had any problems with my cheapy Top Fin 30 or my Marineland 100 bio wheel. They're both silent and I can get replacement cartridges for about $1/ea. The only draw-back to both these particular models is you have to use cartridges. Not enough room in either for your own media.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i disagree with no room for your own media. they have a secondary slot for either a second cartrage or your own media in the larger biowheel filters. each of my 350 series can hold 4 cartrages each or 2 cartrages and then another spot for bio media if i want.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i recommend oversizing the filters for every tank. my 20 gallon and 3 have enough filtration for a 75 gallon tank and both my 55 have enough for up to 150 gallon tanks. I have a general rule. u can never over filter a tank. also it makes replacing filter cartrages easy when the time comes.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Absolutely, more filtration is better. Big store tank kits tend to come with marginal filtration.

How does more and/or larger HOBs make changing filter cartridges easier? Your messing with more cartridges and more dollars.

I'd go with a canister before I hung multiple HOBs on a tank.

Last edited:

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
well with using all the same hob filers i only have one filter size to buy. i got friends who use multiple filter sizes and it's just more of a pain. also i like the sound of the hob filters. the cascading water makes it easier to sleep. I have thought about a diy canister filter for my planted tank though. those canister filters are just to expensive.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
They are expensive, but worth it imo. I had yet again another impeller go today on the 72 bow. It has sand but the intake tube is as high as it can go with filter mesh on the intake. When I have a few extra bucks I will likely get a canister for that tank. They are so, so quiet.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I have an impellar go maybe once a year. that is the worst part about running sand. i can build a diy canister for about 50 bucks so i'm thinking about going that route later.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i will fish dad. all u need is a pump, 4" pvc pipe, end caps, 1/2 inch hose a connector for hose to pvc, and then a hose back to the tank. it is realy quite simple and there are alot of videos about it on youtube.