Filstar XP2 ?????

Oct 22, 2002
Biscoe,NC
I am going to be starting a saltwater tank when I get my Oceanic 75 out of layaway. It is a standard tank (not a reef ready with the holes). My question is will two Filstar XP2's be enough filtration? My next question to add to that is; Will the standard 55w light hood, (using the strongest bulb I can get, I guess a 10,000) and the two XP2's with a good skimmer and a power head in the corner for current be enough for some live reef? Or is it just impossible to have live reef unless you have the high dollar halide's and the expensive undertank sumps? If thats the case then I will just have to have a fish only tank for now. Guys and Gals I would appreciate some comments and feed back on these questions. Thanks Hang. *thumbsupsmiley*

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I not too experienced about saltwater, but if you were to run a "Berlin" system, you could do a reef. It would require about, 1 to 1.5 lbs of cured live rock per gallon (really depend on the density of the rock). Live sand substrate could be used, though some prefer no substrate on reefs. It would need a good protein skimmer to complete a "Berlin" system. I would start with live sand & rock. Setup tank, and let it run with some damsels. Let the tank cycle, and monitor it. Reef system would have to be built slowly. I would monitor the water every time you make a change or add something to it. Only thing for reef system, you will have to add nutrients to water for reef & live rock to thrive. I also lighting. I'm using 110 watt compacts on 20 gallon (actinic & daylight 55 watt). I don't think single 55 watt would be enough. I think 2 XP's would do. You probably won't need any bio-filter section if you run the live rock, just mechanical & chemical filtration. You should also be able to setup XP's a both ends to create current in the tank. This is what I would do if I had your current setup and equipment at this time. Others may have better ideas on the subject.