Figure 8 Puffers

Mar 19, 2005
I just started a brackish tank with 4 figure 8 puffers
i was wondering how territorial these fish are. does each fish need its own sort of "hiding place"? also are there aquatic plants for brackish aquariums that would thrive with these puffers
thanx
jimbo_gk

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
jimbo_gk said:
I just started a brackish tank with 4 figure 8 puffers
i was wondering how territorial these fish are. does each fish need its own sort of "hiding place"? also are there aquatic plants for brackish aquariums that would thrive with these puffers
thanx
jimbo_gk
Welcome to MFT, jimbo_gk :) Here is an MFT profile for Figure 8's http://www.myfishtank.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/220/sort/7/cat/39/page/1
I have a ton of questions ;)
~ When you say "just started"...does this mean it's a brand new tank, or is it an already cycled tank? And if indeed it is cycled, is it FW cycled or is it cycled under brackish conditions? (with marine salt)
~How large is your tank? Hopefully for four figure 8's it's at least a 55 gallon?
~ What's your salinity at?

To answer your question, F8's don't necessarily "hide", as in they don't hang out in caves for cover a whole lot (at least mine don't) as they are continually "on the move" however Helena21 is right on, they need a lot of decor, rocks, caves, and "plants" (either fake or real) etc. to explore. They are intelligent fish that need metal stimulus and easily get bored. If you notice them swimming up and down the sides of the tank continually, then they are bored & unhappy and need something to explore.

I haven't noticed mine being all that territorial, however as I mentioned above, they need things to explore. I don't have a green thumb so I'm not sure about brackish plants. I've heard that java moss can tolerate brackish water. It all depends on how high your salinity is at.

Here is what my 55 gallon tank looks like - it has 4 figure 8 puffers.

Welcome again! It's groovy to have another figure 8 puffer keeper on the board :D

Last edited: