fiddler crabs anyone?

Aug 17, 2009
Chicago
I just love my fiddler crab and am so excited setting up his habitat. But I was curious if anyone else in this forum had a crab?

Feb 27, 2009
A few years back, I had 4 of them in a terrarium/aquarium kinda thing. They had sand on 'land' and rocks in the water, some of them sticking out of the water. Had a ball watching them, especially when they did the "I've got a bigger/badder claw than you do!" dancing. Or playing 'king of the mountain' on some of the rocks.

Aug 17, 2009
Chicago
Oh, yeah. Here it is for now...
houdini_tank.jpg

There's a fluval 1 in the pool that has a hose running up to the opposite corner behind the rocks so that it flows back down to the "pool". The flower pot is half submerged in the sand so that in the far back of it there's some of the water.

I'm working on my 20L Gal now. The "pool" and land portion will be longer, and I'm constructing a 4" partition with extra aquarium glass and sealant so that I can have soil and plants. From what I can tell from the internet he's a mud fiddler. He hasn't dug into the sand at all so I figured I try some sandy soil and mulch for him to play with.

Aug 17, 2009
Chicago
Right now it's just a Fluval 1. I may be upgrading to a 2, but there's not much water to cycle. Also I'm going to try adding an air stone under the stones to give a little more movement to the water, and a dwarf rush plant on the edge so it can also help keep the water balanced.