Female Dwarf Gourami

CSM

Small Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Golden, CO
Visit site
Well, my lfs only sells Dwarf Gouramis in male/female pairs. So I bought a pair a few weeks ago, but the male was very aggressive and quite a bit larger than the female. So i returned him yesterday. Now my poor little female can finally swim around the tank without fear of getting bullied.

Does she have to have a mate? or will she be lonely without one?

jason

RogerL

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
I have kinda the opposite problem...... I have a beautiful male dwarf but can't find him a female. I have been to all the LFS I can think of plus PerSmart etc. and no one seems to stock females! Think I'll try over the internet.

The male seems pretty happy (well planted 55 gallon community tank) but I'd like a female to see if they will start bubblenesting.

Mar 9, 2003
Sunnyvale, CA
ruvideo.com
Originally posted by RogerL
I have kinda the opposite problem...... I have a beautiful male dwarf but can't find him a female. I have been to all the LFS I can think of plus PerSmart etc. and no one seems to stock females! Think I'll try over the internet.

The male seems pretty happy (well planted 55 gallon community tank) but I'd like a female to see if they will start bubblenesting.
same here.

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Remember, gouramis have a similar disposition as bettas do. I'd only keep multiple fish of this variety in larger tanks. Otherwise, i'd only allow them together in breeding season. Which then after breeding, the female is removed...