Female bettas spilling eggs

My betta breeding tank is a ten gallon that I fill halfway with water. I keep the female seperated from the male by placing her in a glass lamp chiminey. Once in a while when I check my female bettas that I have introduced into a breeding tank I find eggs all over the bottom of her compartment. Is it normal for them to spill eggs or is it a sign of a problem? Does this lower the amount of eggs she lays when breeding or did she spill eggs because she was overloaded in the first place? I've only had this happen when a male and female were within sight of each other. I knew the female was ready but the male had not yet blown a bubble nest. The eggs deteriorate after a couple days. (Or maybe she eats them, they all dissapear overnight at the same time and there is some residue at the bottom of the tank so I assume they just deteriorated)

Can anybody relate to my experience? Should I be alarmed or is this normal?

This is only my third attempt at breeding bettas. The first time I tried the female spilled once while seperated and I believe she spilled eggs when I released her. There were numerous eggs on the bottom of the tank but they were not under the nest. The male placed them in the nest but I did not witness them breeding. After a couple days all the eggs were gone. At first I believed that the male ate them all, but now I am more inclined to believe that they were not fertile and they just fell apart. My second attempt resulted in only a few fry because I removed the male right after the breeding occured. I was afraid he would eat the eggs so I didn't give him a chance to care for the eggs. Most fell out of the nest or got fungas on them. Only 20 or 30 hatched and all but 4 dissapeared when I added a sponge filter to the tank. So far on this third attempt I am having trouble getting the male to make a bubble nest, and now the female is spilling eggs. Definately a learning experience.

Last edited:

jonni_li

Medium Fish
Nov 7, 2002
Sunny SD
female bettas will drop their eggs if they are to full (of eggs). so don't wait too long if u know your female is ready. itz a bit hard to know exactly when the female is ready, cuz if u happen to put the female in at the right time, they would just mate with minimal nipping. a little late and u lose the eggs. a little early and the female's fin is gonna get a little torn. but it is better to be a little easy than a little late, since the female will heal and mate again. i think u know all the signs as to when a female is ready, so just don't wait too long.

as for the eggs, if u happen to have a male that don't watch after the eggs, one that eats the eggs, or eats the fry, or if your bubble nest just totally exploded, then u can just remove the male right after the mating, and lower the water to about a centimeter, the eggs will still hatch and the fry will do fine, since it doesn't have to up so far to get air (the main purpose for the bubble nest). After the fry are free swimming, u can raise the water level and everything will be just fine.