Female Betta and Danios

Mar 30, 2006
I have a 20gal tank with 6 Zebra/Long Fin Blue Danios in it. I just got back from the pet store, kids like runnign up there on the weekends its like the zoo:) , and they had some really nice looking Female Bettas.

If I got one do you think the Danios and Betta would get along? Anyone else on here mix a Betta with Danios before?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
That one is probably a toss up. I wouldn't put danios with a male betta...just because of the possibility of fin nipping...but things MIGHT be ok with a female? I'm not sure. I'd get a few more opinions on it before trying.

Mar 24, 2006
Pennsylvania
I had my female Betta in with 5 Zebra Danios, two are long-finned. She seemed fine at first, but eventually more and more of my Danios were showing up with chomped fins. She also nipped at my Neons, but the long-fins were definately more her target. I ended up moving her to her own 5 gallon tank, where she is much happier. I think though my female is rather aggresive, and some are a lot more passive. It all really depends on the personality of the fish. Just be prepared to get her her own tank if things don't work out :)

Feb 27, 2006
I'd say that it depends on the betta. For example, I had 2 female bettas in my 55g tank. One of them wouldn't stop nipping at my pleco so I had to move her but my other betta never seems to bother anything.