Feeding snails

Oct 22, 2002
What type of snails can go in brackish water?  I bought six needle shell (?) snails yesterday to feed to my newly aquired puffer who effectivly killed 4 of them but didn't eat them.  The other two don't seem to be alive either.  Did the salt in the water kill them?  My yo-yo loach isn't interested in eating the snails either.  Do they prefer one type over another? ???

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
I've seen puffers and loaches desimate mud snail populations in their tanks in less than 24hrs. I don't know what type of snails you bought, if they were the pointy kinds, some fish don't eat those. Look for the round shell kind. Some LFS might not sell these though, although when I work at the LFS I had them everywhere because they came in on my live plant orders.
~~Colesea

Fatboy

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I bought my 2 clown loaches for the exact purpose of eliminating the rampant snail population that was taking over my tank. Man those snails got eaten fast! Now my 2 clowns are the head fish of my tank. What great fish! I don't have any experience in keeping snails however, just getting rid of em.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
I love having snails in fish tanks. Not the large apple or ram's horns, inca, or mystery but the small little round mud snails that are hitch-hikers on plants.  These little snails are more an aestic nuscience than anything else, although I've had them crawl into the filter and clog up the works now and again. They multiply like crazy in the right conditions.  Some mystaken people believe they are parastites because these snails will crawl onto the body of dead fish and eat them, but they cannot harm live or healthy fish. They also feed on uneaten food and algae, pretty much anything really. They can be a way to transmit disease though since some fish parasites do use these snails as an intermediate host. Just make sure your tank is healthy and in top notch conditions, and that the tank you purchase your snails from is also healthy. Do not purchase snails that have been feeding on a dead fish at your LFS.  

For tank cleaning the pointy Malyasian Burrowing Snail (aka livebearing snail) is the best for cleaning and tank maintance help. Mud snails are good, but they do not turn the gravel the way a burrowing snail does. Mud snails will be eaten by puffers and loaches with relish.
~~Colesea