feeding question

joe

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
ok, here's the setup:
75 gal saltwater tank w/ gravel and a protein skimmer. it's an office tank that's been neglicted and i'm trying to resuscitate. i'm pretty much learning as i go, since this is my first foray into tank maintenance. the first big problem i'm trying to resolve is the large algae bloom (pillowy and red). i've boosted the ph and maintained it at recommended levels for a month now and added 10 turbos to try to get a handle on the stuff. it's helped immensly w/ the volume of algae and the water clarity has improved greatly. but the growth on the rocks isn't totally subsided though it doesn't seem to be growing any more. so i'm looking into other solutions. oh, and it's stocked w/ a yellow wrasse, b/w damsel, dog faced puffer, and an eel of unknown type (black w/ white stripes and these yellow nose plugs).

one thing i'm thinking might be contributing to the growth of algae is the amount of algae "food" left in the tank after feedings. we feed everyother day : 2 green sea weed/protein bricks and an amount of krill. the fish tend to eat everything but there's still tons of floaties left over that i'm guessing stock the water w/ extra nutrients and help the algea flourish.

so first question: is the above assumption correct? do these food remnants help the algae grow?

second question: if i cut down on the amount of food given - say only one sea weed/protein brick and less krill, how will i know (besides the obvious fish floating at the top, dead) if i'm underfeeding the fish?

sorry for the length of the post. if it's bad posting etiquette, my apologies. like i said before, i'm new to all this stuff. thanks in advance for any help you might have. -- joe

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=joe link=board=saltwater&num=1017113972&start=0#0 date=03/25/02 at 19:39:32]

so first question: is the above assumption correct? do these food remnants help the algae grow?

second question: if i cut down on the amount of food given - say only one sea weed/protein brick and less krill, how will i know (besides the obvious fish floating at the top, dead) if i'm underfeeding the fish?

sorry for the length of the post. if it's bad posting etiquette, my apologies. like i said before, i'm new to all this stuff. thanks in advance for any help you might have. -- joe
[/quote]
1.  Yes, Yes, Yes.  Definitely.
2.  I feed my saltwater tank only once every two day or three.  Cut down what you feed in half now.  If that doesn't help cut that in half.  Fish can survive and grow well with minimal feeding depending on the species.  You can tell if your fish is underfed if after a month or two, there stomach are flatten and emaciated.  But I do think you are way overfeeding if you still have food floating around.