feeding fish whillie away

tuck

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2009
longford, ireland
typical i have just got my tank up and runing and few fish in and everything going great.

then i find myself having to work away for a while..Im leaving home on a monday morning very early and im not home again until fri evening..

The problem is how will my fish survive with no food during the week..

can anyone give me any ideas of what i can do..

i have a 500 litre tank with 2 percula clowns, 1 pink skunk clown,3 yellowtail damsels and a clown tang..also few feather dusters.

im good and diy jobs so could make something if poss or even buy something

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I use an automatic battery-operated fish feeder when I go away. There are a bunch of them on the market. I get the ones with a hopper that has adjustable feeding amounts and in which I can mix some different foods (pellets, dried mysis, etc.).

Always make sure it's up and running and working correctly before you trust it to feed your fish.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
make sure that the one you get keeps the flake dry otherwise it will clump up and be no good. I have left my fish for a week without any food letting them fend for themselves off the rock etc....and they have been fine. Sometimes it is better to let them be than to have someone or something overfeed them.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The Hydro one has a place where you can put an airline from an airpump to keep the flake dry. I have one of those, and it has worked well. It's easy to set and easy to control the amount of food. It's very dry where I live, so keeping the pellets dry isn't a big issue.

I also have an Eheim one that works fairly well.

After last year's three-day trip that turned into an eight-day trip (medical emergency), I get a little paranoid about these things. I was glad last year that the fish were fed while I was away.

tuck

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2009
longford, ireland
i got me a jewel auto feeder and so far so good. set it up and tested it over the weekend, and all seems to be good. easy to use and set. filled it with flake and crushed dried shrimp and krill.

thanks to all for your advice