Feeding competing fish...

Evilhead

Small Fish
Aug 22, 2004
Kanzaki-cho, Japan
Visit site
Hey there, I've got a tank with a Silver Arowana and a Siamese Tiger Fish in it (please don't ask me about the tank size, it's big enough). I just got the Dat (Tiger Fish) the other day, and so far I'm having trouble feeding him. I feed the Aro these large mealworms, and while the Tiger Fish is still pretty small, I think he could definitely eat them given the chance (the dat will peck at them sometimes). But the Aro is such a pig that he just gobbles up everything I throw in there before the poor dat gets a chance. I've cut a few of them in half that sunk to the bottom, but they both lose interest in the ones on the bottom of the tank. Eventually they dissapear, but I'm betting the Aro is the one snorting them up. So any advice as how to feed little big guy? I was thinking about not feeding them for a day or so so and then chucking a bunch of goldfish in there, but I'd really like to get both of them eating the worms and avoid feeders if at all possible. Thanks in advance!

Jeanna

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2004
Visit site
Have you tried feeding them the Bloodworms? The ones that are cubes? I have an Arowana and he eats everything BUT the Bloodworms. So, that's what I have to feed the other fish that are in the tank or else they wouldn't be able to eat because the Arowana is such a BIG pig!!
Good luck.
Jeanna

Evilhead

Small Fish
Aug 22, 2004
Kanzaki-cho, Japan
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Yeah, Jeanna, I tried some different food and it works like a charm! I picked up a big can of freeze-dried brine shrimp (pretty big ones), and I break up a few of them and just toss them in the tank. The dat was a bit hesitant at first, but now he sucks them up REALLY quickly. He just loves them. And while the Arowana will somtimes chomp a few down along the way, he doesn't seem to like them that much so it's not really a problem. I'll buy some bloodworms too though, to vary the dat's diet a bit. Thanks for the advice! (and yes, Aros are big pigs... They should call them Pigfish instead of Dragonfish!)

lighter

Small Fish
Oct 10, 2003
Visit site
I dont recommend hand feeding them, you know how the siamese tiger snap their food with their XXX mouth! Try to drop the food at different areas of the tank so that each can get their fair share.

Evilhead

Small Fish
Aug 22, 2004
Kanzaki-cho, Japan
Visit site
Yes, the Aro is a purely fresh fish, and while dats are naturally brackish fish, they do well in both fresh and brackish aquariums. I did some research before buying him, and people say they do well in fresh aquariums as well and the LFS I bought him from kept him in an all fresh tank. So far he's been very healthy! He eats a lot (and has been growing rapidly lately), has nice coloration, is quite active, and even goes as far as bossing the Aro around. What a balsy dat!