Fatman's Planted 55 Gallon

Fatman

Small Fish
Jan 28, 2012
This tank has been setup for right around 2 years now. It was my first (what I would consider) medium sized tank upgrading from a 15. It has been through a few different setups, but currently is being used to grow out a few fish as I'm looking to pick up a 125 in the near future (mainly for the JDs in the 120).

Aquascape
Substrate is a mix of gravel and sand. Most of the rooted plants are in flower pots to keep them from being dug up. The hornwort I leave the weights on and let it sit on top of the gravel. I dose Seachem Flourish monthly and use root tabs for the potted plants. Driftwood is all real. The tank looks like a mess but allows for fish to slip away if chased and provides a lot of safe places to hide. Surprisingly the Barbs are the ones to get into it the most. Especially the males.

Stocking
Fish:
1 Salvini Cichlid
1 Yound JD (last one left from last times adults bred, growing out to sell)
1 BN Pleco
1 Leopard Sailfin Pleco (moving to 120)
1 Peacock Eel (moving to 120 when full grown)
2 Mollys (males)
2 Platys (females)
2 Swordtails (females)
3 Pictus Catfish
10 Rosy/Red Glass Barbs
Plants:
Amazon Swords
Melon Sword
Dwarf Lily
Rotala Indica
Hornwort
Crypt Wendtii

Equipment:
200 Watt Aqueon Pro Heater
Marineland Emperor 400B (rated 90 gal)
Marineland C-220 Canister (rated 55 gal)
48" 108 watt HO T5 fixture with 2 6700K bulbs. On for 12 hrs a day.

FTS

Left

Right

Salvini

JD

Platy

Rosy Barbs

Pictus

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Keep an eye out for the smaller fish dissapearing. An acquantience had some catfish like those in a community tank and when they grew large enough they began to eat the others. Mostly at lights out I think. They have a large mouth.
The JD may become territorial as it grows and cause problems, It is probably good that you plan to be rid of it.

Fatman

Small Fish
Jan 28, 2012
The Molly In the reef tank is doing great. Everyone told me he wouldn't last with the higher salinity, but after 5 months his colors are great and he has been great at eating some of the algae. He'll be moved to this tank once I decided its time to add in some actual SW fish. I'll be making a thread for that tank as well, but probably not until I have it setup how I'd like.
I have heard that Molly's can't breed in SW but it's not something I've tried or really looked into.

The largest of the Pictus is about 4". The plan is to move things around once they get larger but seeing as I will hopefully be moving in the next few
months wells have to see exactly what tanks I'll keep setup and if I'll be upgrading any afterward. Been trying to get my hands on a decently priced acrylic 125 though. Also keeping an eye on that eel as he grows b/c I've seen them grab some really small fish at work.

The JD is another wild card. I plan on keeping her until she starts showing signs of aggression... Or as long as her and the Salvini get along.

Fatman

Small Fish
Jan 28, 2012
Mollies will breed in SW, brackish, and FW.
Awesome, maybe I'll find him a mate if a good looking female comes in at work.

Did make a change in this tank today. Decided it was time to move the Leopard Sailfin Pleco into the 120. Didn't want to have 3 Plecos in the 120 though so I moved the Royal Pleco into this tank. He's shy but I'll try to get a pic of him up too.

Last edited:

Fatman

Small Fish
Jan 28, 2012
Down sizing a little to prepare for when I finally move. Because of that, this tank is getting a complete overhaul. The Salvini, the JD, the Rosy Barbs, the Peacock Eel, the Pictus Cats and the Royal Pleco have all been moved over to my 75 that I will get a thread up for.
Along with the BN Pleco, Clown Pleco, Clown Loaches and Mollies (acclimated the one from my reef back to FW because I downsized it as well), tomorrow I will be moving all of the plants and fish from my 40 breeder (Asian community tank) into here. I started today by sifting through and separating all of the sand from the gravel. At one point the 2 were in separate areas and looked great but several different cichlids later it was all mixed together. Right now I have all of the gravel on the left hand side separated from the sand by some large rocks. Luckily I shouldn't have to worry about any of the new residents mixing the 2 this time. I also added in about 7-8 pounds of sand as well. May add in a few pounds more if needed.

Fatman

Small Fish
Jan 28, 2012
So here is my 55 in its current incarnation. Definitely happy with it and I think it'll get better as the plants grow in more. I apologize for the cloudiness. Did manage to stir up some soil off the plant roots and sand when planting.
The current stocking is:
Flora-
Crypt Wendtii
Anacharis
Rotala Indica
Dwarf Sag
Water Wisteria
Crypt Spiralus
Dwarf Lily
And a Hygro I'll have to look up.
Fauna-
Ghost Catfish
Cherry Barbs
Harlequin Rasboras
Clown Loaches
Black Kuhli Loaches
Variutus Platy
Mollies
Clown Pleco
BN Pleco
Cherry Shrimp

Filtration:
Emperor 400B rated for 90 gallons and the Marineland C-series canister rated for 55 gallons (I'll have to look up he model number).

Lighting:
A 48" T5HO fixture with 2 54watt 6700K bulbs.

CO2:
A sugar, yeast generator rated for a smaller tank. Only looking to help the plants out a bit, so I'm not expecting miracles out of it.

FTS

Left Side

Center

Right Side

Rasboras

Kuhli Loach

A Cherry Barb back by the Dwarf Lily.

Cherry Barbs with Cherry Shrimp behind.

BN Pleco

A pic of the Clown Pleco, a Clown Loach and a Ghost Catfish.