Fatman's 30ish Gallon Octagonal Tank

Fatman

Small Fish
Jan 28, 2012
I found this tank for cheap a few months ago and couldn't pass it up (even though I had no room). It measures 36" from left to right, which I figured would make it the perfect tank for the constantly active Zebra Danio which I've had and bred before. This time I'm finally trying out Glofish and I am hoping they are fertile (I've heard mixed info on whether they can/will breed). I would also like to breed he Bolivian Rams in here as well, but I'm thinking I have females so I'll have to find a healthy male.

Here's the specifics on the tank.
Filter is a Marineland HOT Magnum canister rated for 55 gallons.
Heater is an Aqueon Pro 150 watt heater rated for 55 gallons.
Lighting is a 36" LED fixture with moonlights (secs are almost identical to the Marineland fixture).

Stocking
Crayfish (growing out to be food for the Oscar)
2 Bolivian Rams
2 Gold Mystery Snails
1 Least Killi
3 Red Glofish
3 Orange Glofish
3 Green Glofish
3 Purple Glofish
3 Blue Glofish
2 Longfin Zebra Danios
Would like to added either some golden or leopard danios too.
After the crayfish is gone I may do a small school of albino Corys.

The aquascape uses Mopani Driftwood, black gravel, plastic plants (except an aponegoton and piece of a moss ball the Oscar ripped up) and some light and dark polished river rocks.

FTS

A bit closer

Left

Left Center

Right Center

Right

Rams

Least Killi I believe.

Danio rerio

Moonlights

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Tank looks good. You may want to do some checking on breeding the glofish. I have read that the folks that came up with them hold a patent and that they are not supposed to be breed and raised by others. This makes me think that they can be induced to spawn in a home tank. Should the fish happen to spawn in your tank for some reason beyond your control, it may be best to plan to keep all the offspring for yourself. Perhaps to not even give any away.

Fatman

Small Fish
Jan 28, 2012
Yep plan on keeping the offspring if they do breed. I'm more interested in what happens to a population where different colored Glofish can breed with Longfin Zebra Danios, Leopard Danios, ect... Ive seen pictures of really cool looking offspring (the coolest was white with red instead of blue leopard spots), but I couldnt prove the they weren't photoshopped so I've gotta see it for myself.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I've checked. There is a patent that said if these fish should breed in the home aquaria, it is illegal to sell, trade, or give them away without a license.

Fatman, can you give me the link, or at least the search word (for google) to look up that little guy?? That would be amazing to see, photoshopped or not.

Fatman

Small Fish
Jan 28, 2012
At one point I had the site bookmarked but that was at least 1 laptop ago. All I can seem to find now are the zebra Danio crosses where they are red on top and bottom and normal in the middle.