Jan 28, 2012
Let start off with the stocking.
1 Albino Tiger Oscar
2 Jack Dempseys (breeding pair)
5 Clown Loaches
1 Royal Pleco
1 Unknown Pleco
1 Brown African Knifefish
A school of Buenos Aires Tetras, Turquoise Rainbowfish and Boesemani Rainbowfish.

Lighting
1 24" NO T5 bulb
1 48" LED fixture

Filtration
20 gallon sump with a DIY shower filter.
Eheim 2026 canister filter rated for 92 gallons.
I also have a Rena Filstar xP4 that will be added once I get it running right.

Aquascaping
Plants are mostly silk and hardscape is made up of locally collected rocks and Mopani driftwood.
Substrate is mix of gravel and washed play sand. It was originally separate the current cichlids fixed that lol.

And Finally Pics
FTS

Left Side

Center

Right Side

Oscar

And a horrible pic of my JDs

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I did have my Oscars and jack together until they all started to grow to large to have them all in my 150G. I didn't have any real problems with them. They bickered a little but thats to be expected with big cichlids. Whats with the tetra's??? The Oscar would have those for lunch and the rainbows dont have much of a chance with the Jacks. Those tetras and rainbows are community fish and should not be with cichlids.

Fatman

Small Fish
Jan 28, 2012
When the JDs breed they tend to "fight" with the Oscar more. Usually some flaring and posturing, occasionally a little lip locking. Normally they leave each other alone though, unless the Oscar decides to stick his nose on the JDs' cave.
With the dithers, I do lose 1 every so often from both the Oscar and the female JD, but that's a rare event. The only time I've had a problem with the Oscar eating multiple fish was with Giant Danios when he was smaller.

Last edited:

Fatman

Small Fish
Jan 28, 2012
I've never fed him live feeder fish which I believe helps. I also keep him and the rest of the tank well fed with Hikari and Omega One Pellets, a variety of frozen foods and once in awhile as treats live ghost shrimp.

So afte a water change today the Oscar decided to move things around a lot. Figure since he started, I might as well change the tank up this week. Thinking about adding in a rock pile again (the last setup of this tank had a large 1 that took up most of the right side), and will probably switch out some driftwood with different pieces as well. I'll make sure to post some pics afterwards.

Also today I realized that the pic of the Oscar is a little old. So here's once taken today.

Fatman

Small Fish
Jan 28, 2012
Finally got around to rearranging this tank a bit. Still might mess with the driftwood arrangement a bit, but Im pretty happy with it for now. The nice thing about the change is that everyone has been a lot more active. Especially the JDs because now he Oscar can fit in on of the caves. So when he's chilling in there they swim out in the open.

FTS

LEFT SIDE

CENTER

RIGHT SIDE

AFRICAN BROWN KNIFE

RAINBOWFISH AND TETRAS

Fatman

Small Fish
Jan 28, 2012
Thank you both. Don't know if I mentioned it yet but it's all Mopani driftwood. I always seem to be able to find great pieces at good prices so I've got a lot of it. Love the look of it and that its dense enough to sink. Then only downside seems to be that even some of the smaller pieces leach tannins for awhile (even after boiling and soaking).