Fat male or pregnant female Molly ???

Sep 19, 2010
Hi all, I have a Platinum Lyretail Molly and im not sure if its a fat male or a pregnant female, the black male molly I have keeps harrasing in, so this is what makes me think its a pregnant female. Ive out it into a breeding net just incase but here it is, help please

Sep 19, 2010
Hi, I have the same problem, but one thing that might help you is that it is definatley a female because of the rounded anal fin. But it also might be a fat female! hope this helps a bit!

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I have a similarly shaped female platinum lyretail molly. It's shaped much the same way as yours. The "fanned" anal fin is a dead giveaway. A male's looks more like he has a stick coming out. The best explanatory diagram for the difference is on this site.

Your molly is probably pregnant. I'm guessing you have about a week to go, maybe less. If the male looked like he was kissing her butt then it's probably really close. About 25 days after the first batch of fry drop you'll probably want to put her back in the baby cage again. Surprise! They hold sperm for a couple months. The second batch should come about 30 days from the first.