Fat Little Girl

May 29, 2003
Allston, MA
www.latexlilly.com
Hello, I am new to this site/forum. I am usually on koivet.

I have a 3"+ female gold gourami with 3 corys (a spotted 2.5", skunk 1", & an albino 1"). The gourami has always been a good eater, perhaps too good. She looks fat, really fat, like bloated fat, and has for a long time. She looks and behaves healthy and active, she just has this huge zepplin like belly, i'd say she's @0.5" wide. Is this normal-ish? Could this be impacted eggs? If so, what should i do? should i be concerned?

Thanks and hello,
-patrick

May 29, 2003
Allston, MA
www.latexlilly.com
I am not allowed to feed her

my girlfriend feeds her and the corys 2 kinds of food:

sinking shrimp pellets for the corys

floating flake for "little girl" (actually her name)

Little Girl eats both once she's done with the flake. I only feed them if she's away. we have tried fasting her but it did not make much difference except the young corys were not getting the food they needed to grow up big and strong.

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
I doubt its eggs, in golden gouramis males make a bubble nest and the female will put the eggs in there. It could however mean that she is ready for spawning, females get a swelling when they are ready.
Or what it proabably is, she is eating a lot! Maybe you could separate the corys a little so that they can eat sufficiently, and not put as much food in with the gourami and see if it makes a difference.
Good luck =)

Oct 22, 2002
Bend, OR
www.zealotron.com
well like I said, if she's acting normal, she's probably fine, I would guess that it's all the protein from the pellets, which you could discontinue, as the corys would just eat uneaten flake. I only feed frozen to my fish every few days unless I'm trying to get my dwarf cichlids to spawn

fat fish are cool IMO =P