Fancy pleco reco

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
So I think I would like to invest in a fancy pleco. I have never owned one and just a few weeks ago you guys pretty much talked me out of getting one for bottom feeding purposes. But this is for show purposes now. I am fortunate enough that just 20 minutes from me is a cichlid specialty fish store that also sells unique fancy plecos. Quite expensive but quite beautiful too. Any ideas for a good one - this is for the 125g african by the way.

Lets say price isn't an issue, I'm looking for a happy medium among looks, hardiness, and compatability. Thanks everyone.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I recommend browsing around and then looking up particular ones you are interested in (on something like planetcatfish.com). What looks cool to you may not be what appeals to someone else on here. If you have a smartphone, you can research in the store, otherwise write down names or better yet L# so you can check them out and go back for the one you want. Otherwise murphy's law says you'll manage to pick out the fancy pleco that has some ridiculously specialized requirement or grows to 24" long or something. Some have specific needs, like needing driftwood to munch.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Good advice, thanks capslock. Tomorrow I'm going to that cichlid store I mentioned, so I'll browse the selection of plecos and take notes. I'm going to look at some sunshine peacock and Lwand peacock juveniles that he is releasing. May buy some. Also some mbamba zebras. Really cool fish, been waiting for these to be released.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It really is a case of what appeals to you. We have a gold dust pleco (I think that's what it's called). It's the black one with yellow spots. It's a nice, showy fish, IMO.

One thing to note on fancy plecos is that you should definitely quarantine them and that you should not change the water too soon after you introduce them. They tend to be extremely sensitive when they're new. Once they've made it past the first few weeks, they usually do very well. It's those first few weeks that can be tricky.