Everything you ever wanted to know about DIY lighting, but were afraid to ask

love_fish

Large Fish
Sep 25, 2005
New York, US
Ok, i finally completed it with a switch, and its bright lol. However, im having a hard time mounting it. What can i use? Tape? Any detailed pics of yours mounted bigred?

Oh, and is it ok if the bulb touches the tin foil, or does it have to be completely suspended?

Last edited:

love_fish

Large Fish
Sep 25, 2005
New York, US
Thanks, but i found a good way of clamping it down. I drilled 2 holes on each side of the socket, and used one of those zip tie things. It holds really well too.

THanks for all the help bigred, great guide.

Mar 6, 2006
Ontario, Canada
BAD NEWS

DO NOT DO ANYTHING THIS GUY IS TELLING YOU TO DO IT IS A FIRE WAITING TO HAPPEN IN YOUR HOUSE

1. You are using speaker wire to carry electrical current
2. Do you know exactly what you are really doing with the sockets( they are supposed to be jumped do you know what that is)
3. The way the wires are connected is so wrong not even in a box THE WIRE IS IN A WET ENVIRONMENT USE YOUR HEAD
4. How many amps are going through the SPEAKER WIRE????
5. Do you know what an amp is??????

6. PLEASE NEVER GIVE ELECTRICAL INFORMATION OUT AGAIN HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE YOU MISLEAD AND MAYBE EVEN HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF STARTING A FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 6, 2006
Ontario, Canada
YOU ARE NUTS VOLTAGE HADS NO EFFECT ON THE WIRE, YOU ARE USING SPEAKER WIRE MADE FOR 24 VOLTS PUTTING 120 ON IT YOU DONT THINK YOU ARE STRESSING THE INSULATION OUT MAN USE YOUR HEAD. tHAT WOULD BE LIKE PUTTING 600 VOLTS ON ROMEX NO WRONG NOT ALLOWED

jefftaylor said:
tHAT WOULD BE LIKE PUTTING 600 VOLTS ON ROMEX NO WRONG NOT ALLOWED
Romex is rated for 600 volts therefore it will actually withstand about 25% more than that safely

Edit: AS for the speaker wire I do agree that it probably is not the best choice for the project, however, it can carry more than 24 volts safely, however it will probably heat up in the process. Speaker wire does not have the same strand count (# of copper strands inside insulation) as normal 12,14, 16 gauge stranded electrical wire, but all in all voltage is not the problem its amperage, the speaker wire could carry 600 volts as long as it wasnt high amps amps are what kill not volts.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2006
Ontario, Canada
YOU ARE A COMPLETE IGNORANT MORON ROMEX IS ONLY RATED FOR 300 VOLTS MAX AND YES IT IS THE CURRENT WHICH WILL AFFECT THE INSULATION BUT YOU ARE USING SPEAKER WIRE AND YES IT IS MADE FOR 24 VOLTS I AM A LICENCED ELECTRICIAN SO DONT **** AROUND

Mar 6, 2006
Ontario, Canada
MR BRACK MAN TELL ME WHAT THE RATING IS FOR HOUSE HOLD WIRING TO GROUND IF ROMEX IS RATED FOR 600V AND CAN WITH STAND 25% MORE THAN IT IS RATED FOR NO IT CAN NOT YOU ARE SO WRONG IT IS UNBELIVEBLE YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT SO DONT TRY AND ACT LIKE YOU DO. DO NOT MISLEAD PEOPLE SO THEY THINK YOU KNOW IT IS NOT WORTH IT YA THIS GUY SAID USE SPEAKER WIRE GREAT ITS CHEAP BUT IT IS TOTALLY UNACCECPTABLE AND WRONG SO I DONT WANT TO SEE ANY OF YOUR ADVICE AGAIN. LET THE PEOPLE TALK TO SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTAND ELECTRICITY NOT SOME JOE SMOE LIKE YOU WHO ONLY KNOWS BLACK GOES TO BLACK AND WHITE GOES TO WHITE THAT IS TOTALLY WRONG DONT DO IT YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT REALLY GOES ON SO DONT GIVE ADVICE OK

YOU ARE A MISLEAD FOOLISH MORON DONT MESS WITH ELECTRICITY

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
jefftaylor,

You say you are a licensed electrician...fine.

For all we know, you could be the person who knows the most about this stuff on the entire forum. Unlikely, but it's possible.

But you earn yourself very little, if any credibility at all, when you post using all CAPS to shout at people and throw out insults. If you are in fact more knowledgeable (which I'm not necessarily convinced that you are, based on your immature conduct) than the others who have posted about this topic on the forum, then so be it.

At least have a humble attitude about it. No need to carry on like some arrogant "Mr. Know-It-All" and insult people.

If your intentions were merely to help keep people safe and prevent them from electrocuting themselves or causing a fire/fire hazards, then that's wonderful. Share your credentials, and politely explain the "correct" way of doing things.

Surely you can't be so ignorant as to expect people to be responsive to your advice when you present it in such an arrogant way?

Big Vine :mad:

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Name calling and insults are certianly not a way to get people to listen to you. Nor will they be tolorated on this forum. Disagreeing with someone is fine, but it does no one any good to insult them personaly.

Brack-man I appologize on behalf of the staff and hope that you will not take it personaly.

It is not up to the staff or anyone inparticular on this board to verify the saftey or usefullness of any threads listed under the DIY section. It is up to the individual to try anything at their own risk. We (MFT Staff) take no responsibility for any of the projects listed here.

jefftaylor- if you are an electrician then I'm sure that you can point out any mistakes or errors in a more constructive way in which we can all benifit from.

Orion,
Thanks for the apology, but its not you or MFT that owes me the apology.

JeffTaylor, I dont know what kind of Romex you use but all of the Romex I have ever used is rated at 600v, and its not written on the box but the manuf. factor in a 25% +/- 1% overage rating, that is something you should have learned in your apprenticeship. I suggest you go get a box of romex and look at the voltage rating. Now if you you want to talk creds, fine by me, I have a Masters in Materials Engineering and a BS in Building Science, I'm the Facilities Engineer at the local children's hospital (for 5 years) as well as a general contractor/ home builder (for 12 years). I am not a misled foolish joe schmoe moron who doesnt understand electricity and only thinks black goes to black and white goes to white.

PS How long have you been an electrician and what level are you (i.e, apprentice, journeyman,...ect)

I was posting when you posted JT, appology accepted

Mar 6, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Not to sure what kind of romex you are using but romex is white or blue depending on the use. . Also stamped right on the wire it says 300 volts max. So i am not sure if you are thinking of what i am!! Where are you from??? I have never seen a stamp on any wire that can have 25% or more put on the wire. What is on the wire is maximum!!! Besides i have never seen a residential occupancy that has 600v, it is always 240v. See im from Canada so maybe it is different where you are but like i said before 600 in a residential occupacy would never happen. Residential equipment does not work on 600.
Just some thoughts maybe we can get on the same page soon

Jeff

Hospital eh sounds cool!!!!

1. You are using speaker wire to carry electrical current
2. Do you know exactly what you are really doing with the sockets( they are supposed to be jumped do you know what that is)
3. The way the wires are connected is so wrong not even in a box THE WIRE IS IN A WET ENVIRONMENT USE YOUR HEAD
4. How many amps are going through the SPEAKER WIRE????
5. Do you know what an amp is??????

Well then... it seems you know everything...

I used speaker wire, because it is what I had on hand. I said this several times. If you truely were the expert you claim to be, you would know that voltage means nothing, amps do. Amps(I) = power/voltage - I=P/E. Therefore, with my 15w bulbs, that equals 0.125 amps(15w/120v). The speaker wire I use is rated for 300 watts RMS(Do you know what that means?). 300w/12v = 25 amps. Call me an idiot(Which you did several times already), but last time I checked, 0.125 is significantly less than 25. ANd yes, the wire is connecte within the hood. That is why I used OUTDOOR rated HEATSHRINK. Rated for outdoor use, which means weatherproof, which means waterproof, which means safe to use in damp areas.

So sir, While you may very well know more about electronics than I... I am hardly an electrician... Before you come on here and blindly critisize me and call me an idiot, get your facts straight.

You have just joined here, and I have lost all respect for you. Congratulations.

Mar 6, 2006
Ontario, Canada
you know what im done jsut one more thing waterproof and weatherproof are 2 totally different things. Please choose your words wisely when you are explaing things of this nature. I was irrational and i said sorry, but i just dont want people to get hurt or things of that nature.