Everything you ever wanted to know about DIY lighting, but were afraid to ask

love_fish

Large Fish
Sep 25, 2005
New York, US
OK, idk, ill see what the home depot by me has. What sucks is we have a blizzard and i cant do it this weekend :( Oh well, now i have the whole week to make sure i know what im doing. Oh, and will 2 43 watt CF evenly divide light instead of looking like a spotlight type thing?

As for the switch, there are 2 wires coming from the switch, so how would i hook it up to the negative side? Splice the 2 together and hook to make one wire and hook it up? Or hook one wire up to each of the power cord wires.?

Last edited:
I can't say for sure, but provided you use a reflector, there shouldn't be a spotlight effect. Never know untill you try though.

As for the switch, without seeing it, I can't help you. Most switches of this variety splice into the negative lead, turning the switch 'off' simply cuts off the flow of current - it's the same effect as if you cut the wire in half. Your switch could be different; without seeing it, I can't tell you.

Love Fish: Once again, without seeing the switch, I can't really tell you; all I can say is 90% of the time, switches go in-line with the negative lead - meaning, cut the wire, one end goes into the switch, the other end comes out.

Also, from your drawing, you have 2 bulbs connected with two positive leads, and 2 with negative leads. I'm not sure if that's what you itend to do or not, but it won't work; each bulb needs one positive and one negative lead.

love_fish

Large Fish
Sep 25, 2005
New York, US
Oh, ok i know what you mean now. I was in a rush to draw that picture, sorry. I tihnk im just going to go with 2 43 watt bulbs (if i can find them) and a timer unless i can get the swicth to work.

Sorry for all the questions bigred, and thanks for the help.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Just like to share something about the PC Screw in type bulbs:

Don't buy the cheapest ones you can find. They can, and will explode without warning. Now that I've scared the crap out of you I'll explain. ;)

The ones that I've had the misfortune of experenceing the bulbs didn't explode. But the base of the bulb did, causing the bulb to shoot from the base. So I guess if the bulb hit something, or was cooled down fast enough then yes it would blow too.

I've used the Lights of America bulbs with no problems. It's the really super cheap ones that I've had blow up on me. I bought them at a 'Dollar Mart'. They are a dollar a bulb for a reason.

love_fish

Large Fish
Sep 25, 2005
New York, US
OK, good. I really hope they have the 43 watt bulbs. It'll probably be much easier than hooking up 4 bulbs. Well, not as much easier, just less work.

Were the 43 watt bulbs you saw the same price as the 23 watt bulbs?