Essential water test kits

murray

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
G'day everyone,

I'm just wondering what people consider to be their most essential water test kits. I've just this moment finished setting up my first tank in 10 years...exciting huh...and during my many trips to the aquarium supply shop I've been interested to see just how many different aspects of water chemistry there's a test kit for. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, hardness, etc, etc. I guess Ph is a must, but what else ??? How often do you guys test your water and what for??? I'd be interested to know. And another thing...do you think that all the different brands of kits are much of a muchness or are some better than others ? Thanks in advance.
Murray

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I have PH, hardness, amm, nitrite,nitrate.

I should have Iron, but dont.

I use the nitate once a month if that, and only when I miss a water change.

If you are sure of your tanks..you don't have to use them often.

If you are not, then weekly or even more may be the thing to do.

Are you cycling with fish or without?

murray

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Without...I want to try and get everything perfect before the fish go in...also, I'm quite keen to try Co2 injection for the plants...having never done it before I thought there may be a bit of a learning curve involved... so I'd better get my head around all that before I risk any lives.

murray

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Re: Essential water test kitTHANX CHEMISTS

Thanks to all you water chemists out there...I went with Ph, amonia, nitrites nitrates and GH KH....I was out there testing my sox off today...ammonia is coming up, according to plan...The filter's working overtime and the water's just starting to get really clear..... this is such a hoot...