Erm... What is Brackish water?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Brackish areas are where the ocean water and rivers meet at the estuaries.  So they are a mixture of freshwater and saltwater.  They have a salt content that is a little lower than saltwater.  Certain brackish fishes includes scats, monos, puffers, etc.  Not too many plants do well in a brackish environment.

Serpio

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Malaysia
hey...
i have a similiar question, but need more details in the answer
how do u make the correct brackish water???
i know it's dumb.. but....... :-/

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
There really is no correct formula for brackish water since scientifically, brackish water is considered everything between 5ppt salinity (fresh water) to 32ppt (average oceanic salinities).  Because most brackish water natural habitats are tidal (the salinity is never stable) it is recommended to start with a baseline salinity of about 22ppt and gradually increase it 2ppt every day for six days, then do a half tank water change at the end of the week and bring the tank back down to 22ppt.  Whether this works in practice or not, I don't know.  The only "brackish" tanks I've ever keep have been local water ones where I've gotten the water and critters from the estuary itself (aka the Chessapeak Bay).
~~Colesea