Epalzeorhynchus bicolor

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hello  :)

I was wondering if this fish eats hair algea, i'm having a bit of a problem with it and there aren't any american flag fish in AUS, I can't get any shrimp either :-/

I hate flying foxes and CAE's, does anyone know of any other fish that will clean up this godawful mess. Our ottos are way too expensive and i'd have to order them anyway. I'm pretty much buggered i think. I'm not going to put any chemicals in, my new kribs have spawned and i don't want the fry to be killed.

ANY helpful info is desperatly needed :-[

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I dont know for sure if it will. Mine did graze all the time on all my plants, but I didn't have hair algae. I would say if you are at a loss, I would try it.One keep one.

Other fish that have been said to eat it are
cherry barbs, black mollies, dwarf gourmi,and honey gourmis.

Of course Rosy barbs are good for this, but it may eat your plants when done.....

If you are having problems with hair algae, make sure your nitates, phosphates and Iron are in check.

Also a good cure is to add Co2. If you dont have the lighting, then you need to find the plants that will grow best in your light. Otherwise, the plant's growth will be minimal, and it will use less nutrients, leaving the algae to grow.

I would NOT add any liquid ferts that contain Iron. Add root tabs with iron instead....that is if you fertilize, until you have it under control and get the right lighting/Co2/fert combo.

Oct 22, 2002
The red tailed black shark is so often sold to get rid of algae. As far as I'm concerned it just needs green stuff in it's diet. In my tank it did little. But I did not have the algae you have. What I found to really work were snails. How ever now my algae is gone but there are too many snails. If this happens if is good to add a loach of some sort. *thumbsupsmiley*

good luck *celebratesmiley*

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
 *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley*  *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley* *twirlysmiley*