Entertain a fish?

Aysvin

Small Fish
May 18, 2013
Hello~

I have a Figure 8 puffer fish and he seems healthy, active, eating well, and his tank is nearly cycled (ammonia at .25 with 10% a day). Only problem is that he doesn't leave the walls of his tank he just goes up and down them all day. I don't know how to entertain him. I've changed around his decor several times but he never pays attention to it. He doesn't explore or anything.

So...any tips on how to entertain a fish?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I've never realy heard of entertaining a fish before. maybe one of those mirrors they sell for bettas to trick them into thinking there is another one near by making them puff up? I have a sunfish and he is a predator so i give him live food from time to time to allow him to feed naturally as he would in the wild. maybe something like that will help the puffer. let him hunt small things down? thats all i can realy think of myself.

Aysvin

Small Fish
May 18, 2013
Non-stop passing is a sign of stress. The cycling tank can cause this.
Thank you for giving me a serious answer

hopefully once the tank is cycled he'll stop this a bit

I managed to get him a tall rock decoration with little holes for him to swim through, it did a lot to break up the decor levels. I also got a fishing lure and cut the hook off. He didn't seem interested in the fake minnow part of it but there was a gold-metal disk on it that helped make the minnow seem to swim. He got interested in that and likes to look at it. I took apart the lure and strung the metal piece on a short piece of fishing line and put it near the corner he likes to stay in. Every so often he'll investigate it. I think he likes the reflection of himself or how it shines.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
fish like shiny things. (mine chase lasers lol.) and it's also one reason i suggested the little floating mirror for bettas. also i've tied flies and put them in my tanks on stainless steel hooks. the materieals just don't last in the water. the thread rots pretty quick and so does marrabou feathers and buck tail. you were best off with just using the blade which i am guessing is either polished brass or chrome.