eheim filter making strange noises?

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
hey guys,

i'm running a eheim2224 cannister filter. i noticed a strange humming sound coming from it. not the typical quiet hummmm. it sounds like something is stuck inside the motor? any ideas?

Hi Johnny, you could also have air trapped in the cannister, tip the filter to one side carefully and see if it pumps out air.
As with all impellers it may be that the impeller needs packing out on the end of the shaft that is furthest away from the impeller blades, there are available small nylon washers for the job, if this does not cure it you may have to buy a new impeller. 8)
Doh, I use a small baby bottle brush to clean the impeller housing, this gets gunged up with bacteria and detrius. 8)

Oct 22, 2002
Is the sound a rattling noise or a humming noise? Is the motor unit getting hot or anything?  How old is the unit?

If it's a rattling noise, then mr. impeller has had it. Replace the impeller shaft and impeller if thats the prob.

A good cleaning will always help. Be carefull pulling the impleller shaft out. They are ceramic and can be broken easily.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
it's making a rattling sound. but if i tilt the filter a bit..it goes away. so i opened it..turned it on..and it sounded  fine. cloth mentioned airbubbles. so i filled it completely with water and put the top on. the sound disappeared. but now i noticed it coming back quietly. hehe. what do you think.