eels in a brackish environment

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I am looking at adding an eel or two to my 35 gallon brackish tank.  Currently I only have 1 spotted puffer and a goby.
Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations?

johnc

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
theres a fish called a dragon fish that is actually a type of goby, i believe, but looks pretty close to an eel...it is elongated...it should go fine in that tank...otherwise, i know ive seen "freshwater moray eels" that im sure need brackish water...other suggestions for yuor tank would be monos, scats, datnoids (dantoids?), chromide cichlids...good luck

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I would suggest getting a little bigger tank before you get any eels. There are some freshwater eels I've seen around but I don't know a whole lot about them.

Ryan ;D

dave

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
i would sudjest a good rope fish they are fun to wach and easy to take care of

Dave

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Dinosaur eels are aka Asian or African Rope fish. They should have a place to climb out of the tank since they do spend part of their time breathing air. I do not know if they are true freshwater or brackish water, but I've kept them in freshwater without any problems. They're peaceful predators, eating things that they can ambush and engulf. They are also prone to a worm parasite on their scales that is difficult to get rid of, but don't seem to harm the fish unless they get really over-populated.

Dragon eels are sand shifters, and need to be on a very fine sandy substrate in order to eat. I don't know if they are true freshwater or brackish water, but  I've kept them in true freshwater without any problems.

I do not know if Peacock or Tiretrack eels are true freshwater or brackish water. I've kept them in true freshwater without any problems. They also like to bury in a fine gravel/sand substrate.

Morays (snowflake, cloud, green, wolf etc) are definately marine salt water, although I've seen them for sale for brackish and fresh water, I've never kept them in anything but marine salinities.
~~Colesea

FISHGUY33

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
when i had my dragon (eel,gobie) he was fine and there was no fine sand substraight i had regular gravel in my tank and he was in pure freshwater and he was perfectly fine but they could be kept in a brackish enviorment too but thats just what i know from personal expierence so i think it would be best to get what ever you want fishguy33 *thumbsupsmiley*