There are two live Amazon Swords.

Tank is overstocked with:

Black Moor
Red Cap Ordana
Fantail
Lionhead
2 Guppies
2 Glo-Lite Tetras

I have an Eclipse System 3 with nothing in it, and I want to get the little guys out, but the big tank is cycled and I am afraid they will die.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

Attachments

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Very pretty! I like the big rock in there too!

I was wondering if anubias might be a better choice as far as plants go....not too many fish will eat them! Don't get me wrong, I love sword plants but I do know that they can be shredded fairly easily....and goldfish are notorious for chewing up plants.

Since you already have an established tank, you could easily jump start the 3g by putting live plants in there, add some of the gravel from the main tank, and adding the large rock or other decor from your 12g to the 3g as a temporary measure.....leave the rock/decor in there for a couple of weeks for the bacteria to establish themselves elsewhere......you can put the small fish in there right away doing that. (It is ALWAYS a good idea to keep an eye on any jump started tank and do a water change if the fish act or look sick.) I've started several tanks using this method without any problems.

BTW, if you decide to jump the small tank, don't clean the filter on the main tank until you get the rock or other decor back in there, or wait at least a 2 weeks for the bacteria to get it's population back up within the tank, just to be on the safe side.

After I posted this, I thought I better clear something up! Whatever you do, don't remove the plants from the 12g AND the rock unless you are replacing the plants.....you don't want to disturb the main tank TOO much....know what I mean?

Last edited:

SLO-Dean

Large Fish
Jan 27, 2003
SLO, CA
Visit site
Who says a smaller tank can't look good!
The Swords look great!
I bet the white gravel reflects the light really well and will benefit the plants.

I'd add some caves or more plants for the fish to hide in.

VZE26PJV

Small Fish
Jan 12, 2003
members.verizon.net
3 gallon

I am trying to figure out where to move these guys to. One of the guppies had babies, I now have those isolated in a 2 gallon Hex.

However, I have a 3 gallon Eclipse system 3 housing a male betta (pic below).

Could I move the 2 guppies and the glo-lites there? Or will the betta get mad at them?

I need help!!

Attachments

the other fish might be the ones who are scaring the betta, my beta was scared of other fish in my 51g tank and eventually just carked it. By the time he died my friends mistook him for a guppy cos all his fins had fallen off.

the betta wont usually fight other fish unless they look similar