Dwarf honey gourami

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I picked one up today from a LFS for my 55. What a cute little bugger! He/she was the last one left in a tank with some other regular gouramis and a black molly. The little female black molly came home with me too. Not sure why the molly was even in there given they've got a separate area for all the live breeders.

The little dwarf gourami seems to be happy and getting along w/ the others in the 55.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Could be Thyra. I almost think this was is a female. Not colorful and has the shorter, more rounded fins. I was a little concerned about he/she not being compatible with the female betta in the tank given the tiny betta is so feisty. No problems at all so far.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
As of a couple of hours ago I am in the same boat with you Joel - There was only one honey gourami left in the tank at Petsmart and he was only $2.50 and I already have a feisty little bright red female betta in the tank he needed to go in. I had a bright blue one in there but the two didn't jell so I had to separate them. I was hoping to start a harem, but I think I might have to put them all in at the same time. I was looking for all the primary colors - red, blue, yellow, and green. I have never seen a green one but I have seen a yellow one. Walmart was a real good source, but alas, no more. They sold all the males for $3.69 and it didn't matter what their breeding, crowntail, plakat, etc, They were all just mixed together. I had a beautiful copper dragon for a couple of years. As I remember, the females were just $1.69. And surprisingly they sold them all quickly so they didn't have to stay in those cups.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Did you buy the dwarf gourami? Mine is so mild mannered she has a hard time getting any food with the platys, mollys, danios and betta in the tank with her.

The female betta after munching some small flakes of food, will grab a large flake and then just swim around the tank, holding it in her mouth like a dog with a bone. She'll hang on to that last flake for a long time. While the other piglets eye-ball it.

Sadly, I lost my second male betta this AM. He was dead at the bottom of the 10gal :(. The kids spotted it early this AM. These are the only fish I've had a hard time keeping. They act perfectly normal, beautiful coloration, great appetite, etc, one day. Next day? Gone. I had this one for about 2 months. He was purchased from a small pet chain (Pet Supplies Plus).

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Mine is very shy yet but the color is completely different from yours - mine is kind of silver in the nose, back to the gills and than deep orange with what looks like liight blue fins. Maybe yours is a female.