Mizzmary21

Small Fish
Jul 28, 2016
Canada
DGBLOAT.jpg
DGBLOAT2.jpg
DGBLOAT3.jpg
Hey there!

Well I have noticed lately that my DG seems to be bloated, I havnt seen him eat either. Though he could be feeding off the bottom leftovers. I have done a bit a research and came to the conclusion to stop feeding the tank for a few days... is this correct... I do have my 10g up and i could transfer him to a tank with a bit of salt.. but what i read had said to not move him and further stress him at this point. I wasnt worried untill today, where i noticed he seems to be breathing harder and hanging out right near the top and gulping for lack of better word at the top of the tank. All the other fish seem fine, just him. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mary

Aug 7, 2016
There's a di
View attachment 12942 View attachment 12943 View attachment 12944 Hey there!

Well I have noticed lately that my DG seems to be bloated, I havnt seen him eat either. Though he could be feeding off the bottom leftovers. I have done a bit a research and came to the conclusion to stop feeding the tank for a few days... is this correct... I do have my 10g up and i could transfer him to a tank with a bit of salt.. but what i read had said to not move him and further stress him at this point. I wasnt worried untill today, where i noticed he seems to be breathing harder and hanging out right near the top and gulping for lack of better word at the top of the tank. All the other fish seem fine, just him. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jul 4, 2016
Looks like bloat, I have some questions-
Water parameters
What size tank
Temp
You can try Epsom salt, nor aquarium as aquarium does the opposite as what you want it to do. You'll need to fast for three days and feed on the third day a pea. Repeat. I'd be wary of salt though as it can cause problems in the labrithin organ and Bettas and I suspect it may do the same to gouramis.

Jul 28, 2016
Canada
Hey there! Thanks for replying.

My water parameteres were normal/acceptable when this was happening... (I had done all the testing heck if i can honestly remember what they were at the time) the tank is a 29g my pre-set heater keeps it at a steady 80 100w heater...( I was told on another website that this is to high for a DG but when i googled that it said that 80 is easily tolerated) i find it a bit odd considering i bought that heater for the 10g and it also kept the 10g at a steady 80 and now the 29 too... Either way im going to have to buy a new heater, as im going to put this one into my split betta tank, once the cycle has finished and i get the divider in.

Its been awhile since i made this post so my DG seems to be doing just fine actually... we didn't feed them for two days once i noticed just how swollen he was. He was hanging out the top of the tank for those two days breathing hard, and honestly looking like it was any day that he was going to kick the bucket...

Today though there has been a massive turn around, hes swimming around the entire tank, actually ate today too which he wouldnt before. his belly has gone down some i wouldnt say all the way, but hes not as large anymore. So whatever was causing this blockage must have passed through. I did go ahead and do a water change like i do every week, replaced the filter carbon. and honestly since then it seems like hes doing just fine. I keep watching him when im not at work. He seems to be doing alright, the coming days will really tell though. Im hoping his belly goes down just a bit more. I think hes on his way to recovery. But you never know, sometimes it takes a turn for the worse.

Also a lady on another forum had mentioned that my DG looks like a female because of the rounded fin. and suggested that it could be 'eggbound' but as far as i've read the males are all colorful, and the females are a more silver/dull color.. Could this be possible? that somehow i have a female powder blue dwarf gourami? Ill attach some photos from today. Fingers crossed!

Attachments