Dwarf Gourami Pair

Bren

Small Fish
Oct 23, 2002
Boulder, CO
Visit site
My wife and I had a pair of Dwarf Gourami. We loved them, unfortunatly they got sick and died. We think they may have been a little stressed because they chased each other a good deal.

So my questions are really concerning that behavior. We want to get more, and I am asking what I can do to try and get a pair that will get along, at least most of the time.

Should we introduce the female a week earlier then the male? Dowe need to plant the tank thicker(we are already planning on doing this). Is this just an issue of luck? Or are we wrong to believe that they should get along...?

Thanks for your help!

Gourami trouble

Its just about impossable to get any female dwarf gouramis around here. They are not as brightly colored so they only sell to people who intend to breed them. I have two dwarf flame gourami males and a neon blue dwarf gourami male all in a 55 gallon and they don't fight at all. What size tank did you have them in? If it was small the probably wouldn't get along as well. Consider yourself lucky to have females available!

kingy2

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
a trio is not the answer most of the gourami family have to be kept in pairs, competent dealers would ensure all gourami were sold in pairs, when i had my small comunity tank i kept a male and female, the female was chased a lot but there is nothing you can do about that other then provide a lot of hiding places, plants, caves and wood are all good for the perpose, i wouldnt attempt to keep two males as they would be under a lot of stress unless the tank was a good size.